Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:33 pm 
Star Board Poster
I was asked to put down a few words about finding a reasonable value for a reel. Most of this will be familiar to many of you and I ask that those that have additional useful adds jump in with their comments!

First...and not addressed in detail here...condition has a tremendous influence, so you have to factor that in heavily when putting a price on your own reel and for judging the relevance of a value seen at auction or in some sales list. Also, for the most part, collector books are great for pics and details, but are generally out of date re values... or have posted values designed to raise the value of the collection of the author...this may be done for tax or insurance purposes, so don't read more into this comment.

The main way to tell value is to determine WHAT SOMEONE WILL PAY...I know...brilliant, John...but that's what it boils down to...so, the only way to get a good idea is to judge what things have been selling for. The sites I use are Ebay, Langs and other auction sources.

For EBAY, the relevant way is to look at COMPLETED/SOLD auctions. you can get there by going to the advanced search...put in your search subject and click the "SOLD auctions only" button...YOU HAVE TO BE LOGGED IN TO USE THIS FEATURE. If you use “completed auctions only” feature, note that the actual sales are shown in green... black prices were what was asked but didn’t sell and the $ just reflect the seller's hope for what they would get. Also, look at as many examples as possible and try to evaluate why the bidding was high or low. Ask questions like how many bids were there? If one, then it was possibly a s--- bid to establish auction as "active", based on the seller's opening bid. I always question whether these really sold or not. I'm sure others will have thoughts about this. Needless to say, if there are not at least two bidders, it's less than clear what the $ value means as to real value, MHO. i'll leave this for now, since I'm sure we can do a couple pages on Ebay auctions. At the end of the day, if there are a few examples of your reel, you can get a pretty good idea of what people are willing to pay in real-time.

For other auctions, EXCLUDING LANGS auctions, a useful source is a site called liveauctioneers.com. Not as much fishing-related info as there used to be but useful on occasion. Easy signup and you can put your reel in the search window and go look to see what has been offered. To see the realized prices, YOU HAVE TO REGISTER. Good news is that it is a dead simple registration and does not require a fee.

Probably the best site for most of us is Tacklefind, which is under contract with Langs Auctions and has an archive of all their past actions (i think for 10 years). There is a fee to use the site and was originally about $50 per year, but now has daily and monthly rates and you can access through their app at

https://www.tacklefindapp.com/webapp/#/

At a $1.99 a day, its a pretty good deal... go have a look!
that's about all I can think of to add at the moment. I hope this is a help!

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:33 pm 
Star Board Poster
Please note this sticky was seriously out of date and has been cleaned a bit to remove old hijacks and updated. Hopefully, we are good to go now. Email me if there are pertinent additions to make!