Rare Meek reel????

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!

Rare Meek reel????

Post by guest »

Who is Geo. R. Clahoun & B.B. Allen? Just curious if they were involved with the fishing industry? Or if this was simply a gift from one to the other. Or something else? These names are engraved (factory?) on the back of a Meek reel I recently purchased -see pic. At the bottom is also engraved " MCH 10-04" . What does this inscription mean? Thanks for any help.

LOTS have emailed wanting this reel. I will be selling soon, just want to know a little more about it as I'm not a reel collector. I've been offered from $400 to $500 for it (and also some pretty nice/tough baits). As I've learned (the hard way) from the past, don't let $$ signs get in front of your brain. I want to learn all I can from/about these old pieces of nostalgia before I let them go. If you don't learn something, it's just a job. (I hate that thought on a Sunday
evening!)

I'd really be thankful to anybody that can shed some light on the men connected to this reel.

Best,

Stew
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Here is your picture!!

Post by Harvey »

:lol:
Harvey
Stew

It will be for sale ....

Post by Stew »

As soon as I find out more about it. It's a No.3 & this is one of the first reels that b.f. meek added his son's to the name on his hand made reels,this reel if you look real close has hand slotted screw heads,and the twelve o'clock handle position, and delux narling even on the edge of the back plate, in addition to the names on the back plate.

I've been given a value from a long time Ky. reel collector who claims he hasen't seen one like this on the market for several years. I would consider offers.

Thanks!

Stew
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

-

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice reel Stew!

Here is one from the same period.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3631477085

Dean.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:idea: Stew, there is a way for you to find out about old, new, and eveything inbetween! join ORCA! Old Reel Colectors association , Send your check for $25.00 to OLD REEL COLECTORS ASSOCIATION To ROGER SCHULZ 160 Shoreline Walk, ALPHARETTA GA. 30022, recomeded by Col. Milton Lorens Amherst Ohio, this gives you a 12 month subscription to the REEL NEWS, and the best of the best on OLDER REELS if they dont know someone will find out for you, and there are photos, and stories to no end, from not only the UNITED STATES but from several Countries abroad! Now as for the names on your reel, and the date MCH 10 04 most likly is march 10 1904 when reel was made or presented to the person named. In those days people wanted to go to watchand clock makers school. and 2 of them existed in KY , One near Windchester KY and another in the LOUISVILE KY area , most didnot have the funds to go to school so either their DR. A lawyer, barber or other person of money means put up the cost of the schooling, and as with people with means they were fisher people , and ask the new student to make them a reel! Also companies like MEEK would suply the basic parts to the school for students to learn on and then get the reels back to sell, and they in turn would on special order fo a extra fee ingrave a name or names to the buyer of the reel. The reason for the reel first was it was large enough for a student to see and work on, it had a gear train so the student could understand how gears worked before they made a clock, and the graduated to watches, with out a doubt, most reel wont interchange parts and this is why the Numbering on a reel part means all those with the same number belonged to a reel even the screws were numbered, I hope this sheads some light on your reel, and unless those names were a historic part of history , they wont add much value to your reel. You will also find many pocket watches , mostlyb the key winds Numbered the same way and also with names on them , The name of your reel the one its from may be the maker or student fufilling his pedge to his suporter that paid his schoolin. Col. Milton lorens aka SWIM JIG amherst ohio

Post by guest »

:?: ahblablablabla ?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Guest,
I'm sorry you didn't find that interesting but I did. Thanks Col.!
Brian F.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

RIGHT ON, BRIAN!!!!

Post by Harvey »

I also enjoyed the Col's rambling! I have met Milt and he a swell guy and will fill your ears with very usefull information if you will set still and listen to him. We had a very wonderfull time in Lansing and he was part of the reason. As for the guest, I will say that if you can't spell your correct name or are afraid someone might find you out, then I ain' gonna listen anyway! Keep up the good work Milt, we need more people to voice their opnions and be willing to help others out even if some can't understand why!
HARVEY
Stew

Thanks Milt!!!! (& Harvey)

Post by Stew »

I too found that very informative. This is the stuff that makes these pieces of metal and/or wood worth something. If it wasn't for the history, there woun't be a story or VALUE. Harvey, also, has been very helpful to me in knowledge & lures! I'm guessing that people like Milt had a hand in that by doing the same for him & others. I guess it takes all kinds. Milt, (or Col.), Sorry you had to be on the bad side of someones ego because you were trying to help me. I'm sure they just don't get it anyway. Thanks again Milt & Harvey! Feel free to email me anytime with knowledge or just to chat old fishing stuff.
Best, Stew
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:?: :idea: :D OK so i get carried away in history, yes US HISTORY has always been a favorite and the Civil War erea was my (REEL) real intrest! AS FOR the George R Calhoun, he was listed in The personal memors of U.S. GRANT vol. 2 as a (DOCTOR SURGEN) on the Confederate side, however he helped any solider Union Or Confederate, and done many Amputations. As for B.B Allen I dont recall that name in either Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 of Grants personal Memors, Now as I done this work in Colleage some 46 years ago some things do not stay with me, Again, like pocket watches, reels were a nice way of being remembered and a way of showing respect and freindship for another person while words may be forgoten , a gift like that will live for ever, I trust when you sell that reel someone that was related to either party buys it and keeps it with their Faimly. As for the comment? Well at least guest can read ! And tax dollars spent to put guest thru school wasent all wasted, just that (Guest needs to get a book with more than (Jane sees SPOT) ! Harvy, we did share some wonderful conversation, and I not only learend a lot from you I retained it! Lansing was a wonderful learning experiance, as Was Dowojiac, sorry you had to mis that one. as For Stew, you keep on asking Questions, Our members will find you answeres, then you can teach others! A statement i made to my Graduating class Jan. 1956) ( To share Our knowledge is the greatest gift we mortals can give) MRL 29 Jan 1956 With respect to all of you folks Col. milton lorens ret Army
Stew

Meek No.3 now F/S

Post by Stew »

After much deliberation & advice, I've decided to sell this reel.
B.F. Meek & Sons No.3 : this reel has hand slotted screw heads,and the twelve oclock handle position, jeweled end caps and deluxe narling even on the edge of the back plate. Plus the names engraved on the back. Very nice patina.
I'd like to sell it to an ORCA member so it is in "the right" collection so I thought I'd give all on this board a shot before I start dragging it to lure shows. I've been offered $600 for it. I've also been told it is worth MUCH more than that. I'm now asking $1000 (sold to the first emailer) but will consider offers over $600. Need to move this fairly soon as I have a lure fix I need to take care of soon, so please don't be shy! I can send more pics if wanted. Thanks again for all the education & help. Best, Stew