Reel Collectors at Allentown

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Reel Collectors at Allentown

Post by Reel Geezer »

There are lots of ORCA members here in Allentown for the big show, and the Doc Herr Auction. We had a nice reel breakfast on Thursday morning. You can read all about the show and auction on my Old Fishing Stuff web site if you wish. http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?gone
Even Bert the Boykin is here. :roll:
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Lets here Bert's assesment of the whole thing!!!

Post by Harvey »

Great Work, Phil.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

It sure is a long way home..........

Post by Reel Geezer »

After two and a half days of traveling, we've made it to Rock Springs, WY (one of the hell holes of Wyoming). We should make it home tomorrow afternoon, and it sure will be good to get there. I don't know what we'd do without books on CD's.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Bert says this place really is the pits

Post by Reel Geezer »

The Motels in Rock Springs were all posted with no Boykins allowed signs and he is sleeping in the pickup tonight. :evil:
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Don't knock Rock Springs. I have only warm memories of my first visit there, sometime around 1960. The guy who is currently mayor of Las Vegas and I were driving west to California between college terms, and we pulled into Rock Springs around sunset.

Much to our surprise, we found a bar that served what was purported to be Chinese food, which we both liked. So we ate dinner there, surrounded by folks in Stetsons and cowboy boots also struggling with their chopsticks.

When we left, it was pitch black outside, and we drove slowly out of town, looking for a place to sleep. After a short distance, we found a roomy space by the side of the road where we could safely park the car, which we did. We tossed our sleeping bags down on the ground and got a good night's sleep. It was only when we woke the next morning that we learned we were sleeping on the edge of the town dump.

So they have motels there now? Can't wait to go back.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Rock Springs in 1960

Post by Reel Geezer »

Steve, I don't believe there was anyone left in Stetsons in Rock Springs in 1960. There might have been a few real cowboys left then. It is now the home of the Wyoming mafia (reported on by 60 minutes several years ago) and strip mining. Nary a horse to be seen.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Geezer, I beg to differ. The folks in that bar dining on egg foo yung were mostly wearing "cowboy" duds, including both 5-gal. and 10-gal. hats. Whether or not they had all come by bus from some local dude ranch is unknown.

It's good to hear that the trappings of civilization are at last visible in the little frontier town. Did you find any reels there? It's hard to imagine any small town in post-WWII America that didn't have its own reel-making company.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Rock Springs reel company

Post by Reel Geezer »

Steve - haven't you heard of Sage reels?
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Allentown Show

Post by piscesman »

I too went to Allentown. About a four hour drive from Albany,NY. Met many very nice people there. I wanted to meet Phil but couldn't track him down, since I'm a fellow ORCA member. He was busy pitching "ORCA". Was able to add a few things to my collection and some nice memories. Tough to find good fishing shows up this way. I hope we have a mini-national as someone had mentioned in March 2004. I plan on attending Lang's at Boxbourgho, Mass. Always worth the drive. Don't have the deep pockets to bid on anything but ALWAYS nice to look. Winter is not far off so I'll attend as many shows as possible... :wink: :wink: