Tabot comet reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Ned Guyette
Big ORCA Fan

Tabot comet reel

Post by Ned Guyette »

Hello all, this is my first post
to the forum.I started collecting
reels two days ago with the purchase
of a two shakespear criterion reels and a talbot comet reel at an estate sale. The talbot has the number 4617
stamped on the left endplate and "pat.jan.22.1901" on the bottom of the reel foot. I've not been able to
find an on-line resource to help me date this reel and would appreciate any help in dating it. I would also
like to find a source for history of
Talbot- is there one published on-line or elsewhere? The reel is in good condition -the oilcap knurling
has been partially garfed by cro-magnon application of pliers -otherwise the screws are all good and there are no deep gouges or dings .I completely disassembled the
reel and cleaned and polished with
4 ought steel wool and mineral spirits using light pressure so as to clean it without giving it that brand spanking new shiny look.Any opinions on value would also be appreciated. I thank you kindly for
any help. Ned Guyette
john elder
Star Board Poster

it's a keeper, Ned

Post by john elder »

Lawson's book indicates that in EX condition, the reel is around $400-500...time might raise this a bit and condition might drop it considerably. Evidently of significance where it was made...must help date the piece. Sorry I can't add more.

Post by Guest »

Reel News had an article on Talbot history in Vol. 10, No. 1, 2000.
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Talbot Comet Reel

Post by Warren Platt »

The Comet reel was first introduced in 1911 at $10 and was made in Nevada, MO. Your reel should say that it was made in Nevada, thus 1911-13, after 1913 the reels were made in Kansas City, Mo. Value now is approx. $400 for one that is in nice original condition. Email any questions about Talbot reels ()