Miniature Dillender Fly Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
EclecticGuy
Advanced Board Poster

Miniature Dillender Fly Reels

Post by EclecticGuy »

Hi all, as most of you probably know, I'm a reelsmith. Along with my other reel collecting interests, I collect hand-crafted and prototype reels. These were made by Tony Dillender from Lexington, KY. and are my latest acquisition. The three larger have click checks with a slider to disable the click. The smallest is friction only.

These are very nicely machined and quite petite.

Cheers,
Michael
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Re: Miniature Dillender Fly Reels

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Great little reels Michael - my favorite Dillinder reels are the little birdcage reels he made of brass (His is on the left - the right one was made by Washington, D.C. jeweler).
600_stuff_004.jpg
tacklerus
Big ORCA Fan

Post by tacklerus »

I have also some miniatures by Tony, The minature Billinghurst & Orvis reels where something I talked Tony into making some years ago (2000-2002?) I think?! As fare as I know only 10 Billinghurst where made and they are numbered 01 of 10, to 10 of 10. The first and only one was made in silver I have that and also the brass numbered 10-10. The other thing if you know Tony,he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet! A complete suprize he sends me this miniature display of all the parts it took to make the Billinghurst reel marked (DAVE'S PUZZLE). The other two miniatures Tony sent me for Chrismas one year.
EclecticGuy
Advanced Board Poster

Post by EclecticGuy »

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing! I love the puzzle, very neat presentation. I would enjoy the opportunity to talk shop with Tony - reelmaker to reelmaker!

cheers,
Michael
Doug Carpenter
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Doug Carpenter »

Here is another wonderful reel made by Tony Dillender. It is a tournament caster, the handle is two inches long. Press down on the thumb bar to disengage the handle and make it free-spool. Tony is one of the best people I know and has been extremely instrumental in me collecting reels.
Dillender 3.jpg
Dillender 2.jpg
Dillender 1.jpg
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow, I'm blown away by the variety of reels he has produced. Great thread.
EclecticGuy
Advanced Board Poster

Post by EclecticGuy »

I agree Mike. And, I know that he made a neat little Orvis 1874 reel in a walnut box. If anyone has that reel and could post a photo that would be great.

cheers,
Michael
tacklerus
Big ORCA Fan

Post by tacklerus »

super neat reel!
ghstrydr164
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ghstrydr164 »

Here is a link to pictures of 2 cased Miniature Orvis 1874 Fly Reels Made by Tony Dillender, next to 2 full size reels.

http://antiquesicollect.com/images/aic020.jpg

Here are my three Tony Dillender reels, two 1" no click and one 1 3/8" adjustable click.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Had to wake up this old discussion and ask if anyone has (or has even seen) one of the miniature Orvis 1874 Fly Reels made by Tony Dillender discussed above. I have seen two on a collector’s personal website.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990