Reel photography

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Reel photography

Post by Steve »

I need to get a new digital camera, which will be used almost entirely for photographing reels. Can anyone recommend any recent (2003) models that they've used for this purpose? The camera should have at least the following:

1. At least 4 megapixels
2. Close-up (macro) focusing down to an inch or so
3. Manual aperture setting option
4. Adapter thread at front of lens

Thanks a lot for your input!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Steve: you ask 10 people and you'll get 10 answers...for that level of megapixels, however, you should probably look hard at Nikon. But the Dimage 7 series cameras are really nice as well. At any rate, the reason I put this on was to tell you to look at a site ...www.ubid.com. Wholesalers put on batch lots of different equipment and you can get some great deals on cameras and other electronics there. they often say the items are "refurbished"...however, I've had no trouble with the camera I bought there and I believe most of it is brand new over-stock and they are just calling it that to move it out. best of luck! je
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks, John. I'll check out the site.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Steve,
I've heard that the Nikon camera is the way to go also. I've been hunting around for a new camera myself, and I've been impressed with the clarity these little devices produce.
Jim
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks, Jim. My problem is that I've read good things about lots of brands--Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Canon, etc., etc. Since I haven't found a store yet that will let me try a few models in a meaningful comparison test, I was hoping someone could highly recommend a particular model or two for macro work of this type.

Probably tough to go wrong with Nikon, though.
slick
Big ORCA Fan

Post by slick »

As a last resort you might cneck out CNET's reviews. Here us the link.

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif ... ag=ont-cam
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that site was a first resort and was a major contributor to my consumer confusion. Too many cameras. And the spec information often lacks details on macro features. Maybe after Christmas, some more collectors will have first-hand experience with some newer cameras.