A Meek mystery

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

A Meek mystery

Post by Richard Lodge »

At the ORCA convention I sat in on a talk by an expert on Kentucky silversmiths. I learned a few things but nothing specific about B.F. Meek and his production of coin silver spoons. Everyone knows Meek as a great reelmaker, but he also made some coin silver spoons, one of which is pictured in Steve Vernon's exceptional book on Kentucky Reelmakers.
So, long story short, I picked up a couple of B.F. Meek-stamped silver spoons and just this week came across another one. This latest is the only one with a silver hallmark besides the B.F. Meek stamp. I've included 3 photos of the spoon and I'm curious if anyone can shine some light on this.
You can see a somewhat faint B.F. Meek stamping and a more readable H&S stamp. I did some quick web research and I think H&S was David Hotchkiss and Andrew Schreuder, who worked from 1845-71. The H&S stamp was used from 1865-71, according to one silver collector site.
So here's my question: If B.F. Meek made the spoon, why was it also stamped H&S?
Did Meek make the spoon and it was sold by H&S as a retailer, sort of like a Montague-made reel being sold by a hardware store, which had its name stamped on the reel?
Or did H&S make the spoon and B.F. Meek stamped his mark on it for some reason?
In general, why would one piece of coin silverware have more than one hallmark on it? This one also has 'coin' stamped on it, but I assume that's to note that it is made of coin silver.
So there's my mystery. I welcome answers from ORCA detectives out there.

Here's an overall shot of the front of the spoon.

And a photo of the B.F. Meek and H&S hallmarks.

Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A Meek mystery

Post by Reel Addictive »

Richard - I remember theories about this marking during the Kentucky talks. I believe it was the museum curator which noted that these were definitely made by another company and then stamped with the "Meek" mark later. If memory serves (which it probably doesn't) I think these were sold by the Meeks during the later years when they were trying to find ways to be profitable.

Seems like Ron G. told us about how the company produced great products, but were always struggling to be successful as a business.

Now lets wait for someone who actually knows the answer to come along.

William
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

William, your memory seems to be serving. I believe the hallmark always denotes the manufacturer. These spoons remind me of those Montague reels with the Vom Hofe stamps on the cranks.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks, William and Steve.
William, that part of the talk in Frankfort is coming back to me, about the Meeks struggling to make a go of things. The silverware was a sidelight, since reelmaking wasn't an easy way to make a living.

So Steve, maybe if I stamp vom Hofe on these spoons they'll increase in value? :loco:

thanks to both of you for weighing in!
:D
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...if I stamp vom Hofe on these spoons they'll increase in value?
Absolutely, Richard, but be sure to scratch out the Meek marking first.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Richard:

I too have been interested in the Kentucky silversmith topic since I first saw the spoon on the cover of Vernon & Stewart's book over 20 years ago.

I think a realization of the breadth of their craftsmanship, including their watch and clock making skills, along with research on their need to diversify to earn a living is essential to any real understanding of great these reel makers.

Here is a good link to a 16-page chapter on pre-1850 Kentucky silversmiths. George Snyder, Sr. is mentioned on page 123.

http://filsonhistorical.org/wp-content/ ... ret-M..pdf

I'll keep looking for a more specific answer to your question.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for that link, Mike. Very interesting and detailed documentation of the many silversmiths throughout Kentucky prior to 1850. That mention of Geo. Snyder also notes his reelmaking.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

This Filson society link is still there, but requires a membership to view content.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle