the odd HURD serial #s

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

the odd HURD serial #s

Post by SWIM JIG »

:o :? :oops: :roll: :wink: Can anyone advise how to work the serial #s on HURDS? yes I relize the wood handles checkered handles in wood, and the Plastic handles may be a range of 3s however I cannot find any differance in the internal parts, or the rod section that are made from left over antenas from government surplus. Frogy Jig and i have several of them when we get a low # then the next # may be very highalso generaly letters are mixed in. any help or factual imformation will be most well acepted or list your # on the post so we can compare notes. I will star a serial # compqarison. thanks in advance COL. M. LORENS aka SWIM JIG in cold snowy OHIO
Lynn Thomas
Advanced Board Poster

Some Hurd seial #'s

Post by Lynn Thomas »

Here's numbers on four of my Hurds with wooden grips: 26379, 52367 , 70529 , and 78747 . Here's two numbers from plastic grip style : 1724 H 1, and 2096 H 1. Hope this helps, LT
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

posible answere

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :? 8) :wink: :!: :?: :idea: LYNN, as I see the letters on the plastics, that may solve a area between them and wood, its the large spread on the wood handles, Its doubtful that that many were made or sold, on the low end of some of mine (39497, then its 81982, 82416, I will check frogy jigs #s on his when he gets back, I have never seen a number over( 88000) on the reg. and as for plastic I dont realy recall them as too high #s. The one thing I have never found is a parts assortment for them however Fred Kerr had some loose parts a few years back, As for handle styles I have seen some with smooth wood handles however most have the checkered handles. I hope more people list their #s and types on our site, will make interesting reading etc. Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG in a snowy ohio
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

posible answere?

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D :? 8) :wink: :idea: Thanks To Bob Halvar, the ARIEX man, he sent me some actual adds of the time, seems as if HURD made several different rod and reel combos , this ad dated may 1947, they show 6 different rod lenghts, from 3ft to 5&1/2 feet, in 1946 they only made 3 lenghts, they also made checkerd grips and smooth grips of wood, then in june of 1949 they made the super caster a plastic handle and as of now the harder to find one cost in 1949 was a trmendous $45.00 and tax a lit of cash when the average wage was 70cents a hr outside of union shops or profesonal services, a dr. call in comparison was $3.00 in office $5.00 if they came to the home! Back to the serial number differance , My thoughts at this point that each change or lenght of rod became a new start of numbers! Does anyone in ORCA besides the FROGY JIG Colect these unusaual combos? so he can compare notes? Your Ohio Conection Col. Milton lorens aka SWIM JIG and Ryan Costello the froggy jig
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Hurd rod and reels.

Post by Airexguy »

Milton, I will watch for them at auction, tackle shows and antique shops. I will also make note of the length, type of handle, and serial numbers. This could be a slow process, but on my way home from a show yesterday I stopped at two antique shops and found 1 at each place. One had the semi-soft cover that zipped shut to hold rod and reel. I didn't take note of the condition except the handle had a checkered pattern, and the past owner had carved his name in the handle! Bob Halver---->The Airex Guy
orourke
Super Board Poster

This Airex Guy is a Gem!

Post by orourke »

Hey Milt and other Orcans,

How bout this Halver guy. Sent me Bronson and Coxe ads. For Free! All of you guys who though Bronson didn't make any of the Big Game reels after the WWII, you may be right, but one of Bob's ads was from 1946, had the E award in the ad, mentioned the end of the war and advertised a 16/0 cradle reel.

Granted them may have made them up from parts produced before the war, but they were still advertising and selling them.

Great ad Bob, Thanks again!

Dave
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

me too

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D 8) :wink: :!: :idea: Yes Bob is always doing things like this, I got a parcel of ads yesterday and am still raeding them, sorry len I will get back to your reel in a day or so. Yes Dave you colect BRONSO, and ME? I accumulate anthing that holds line or turns and was suposed to help catch a fish (Harvys bare toes excluded)! The one thats unique is 2 reels on the same idea, THE FLO LINE that sold for $12.50 in 1949, made by the Lou Meyer co. Kenosha WIS. and the TELECAST SWIVEL REEL by FIHE Enterprieses 1023 Victory Place Brbank CALIF. it also Swiveled and worked both ways, cost in 1953 was $15.00 that one I have never seen! of corse theres a lot of reels this old GEESER hasent seen. What is somewhat amasing is the cost campared to other itens in these time periods IE. 1949 fresh chicken 17 cents a lb.except the brest meat. bread 1 loaf 14cents. and a dz worms 20 cents. 1953 a gal of GULF regelar gas 23.9 gal, loaf of bread WONDER BREAD 21 cents, Chicken less the white brest meat 18cents a ;lb or 24cents lb for the whole chicken, I was making $1.10 per hr as a mechanic, a newspaper was 5 cents, So fishing tackle was a LUXURY? My first Bronson new was $4.95 + tax, and you can bet your last reel I took good care of it, and still have it, works as new its lost some of its finish! also pfluger supreme Has always been $35.00 in 1954 and before that, yet their other reel of the era were much less! a trump $6.60, skilcst, $12.25, summits $15.00-$16.00 and the AKRON $15.00, Nuf on this so in 1954 it took me two days of work to buy a AKRON, this may explain why today we still find reels in the original boxes and in decent shape! Was not no free rides in them days! Col. M. lorens aka SWIM JIG and the ice is going out on LAKE ERIE in OHIO
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

Milt,
I have a Hurd advertisement from 1947. Copyright is 1946. Lists to have interchangeable rods. Will be sending a photo of it out to you.
Kim :mrgreen:
hurdpete

supercaster numbers

Post by hurdpete »

Milt:

I'm a newbie to ORCA and reel collecting, but have been bitten by the Hurd bug. I now have 5 of them, with serial #s from 1053 to 84669AC. I've torn all of them down to the frame, and have made a lot of measurements and notes. Out of the 5 reels, there are at least 4 different types:
1. The earliest reel (1053) has a 3 piece aluminum spool with a .750 dia. straight center spindle painted black, a stamped crank plate locator pin, a flat (no spring) level wind pawl, a dished (recessed) clicker slide, and plastic crank handles.

2. Next type (15701) has a polished aluminum spindle, a drilled pawl with spring, a brass crank plate locator pin, a dished clicker slide, and aluminum crank handles.

3. Third type(56000?- I don't remeber the s/n offhand) is the same as #2 except that the clicker slide is raised and has a larger pin. I also have one that is identical except with a small round recess in the pawl cover plate.

4. The late model (84669AC) has a completely redesigned interior mechanism, with a machined, flanged aluminum spool, raised clicker, a larger reinforced crank gear pin, a different spool axle and bearing setup with the crank side bearing cap pressed into the side plate, and aluminum handles.

I haven't seen enough of these reels to determine exact s/n breaks, or whether the changes in construction were done at the same time, or as running changes as previous parts stocks were used up. I will gladly help however I can to create a database for the Hurds, since there doesn't seem to be any factory data still available.

If you take the wooden grips off the frame, there is a stamped number on the frame which is not the same as the serial #. The grips are marked in either yellow grease pencil or good ol' black pencil with the frame #, suggesting that the wooden grips, at least, were hand matched to the frames! I suspect that this was the production ID #, with the serial number stamped in after the reel was completed.

I don't have any clue what the letters mean either- sure hope we can figure it out.

Milt, I hope you're digging your way out from under the pile of reel repairs you have to finish; maybe we look at this whole Hurd situation again later on.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

HURDS?? and numbers?

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D :) :? 8) :wink: :?: :idea: cool-thumb yay-banana :type: USA Ok, hurds are a most unusual REEL! as for the 3 pice spool, that is why you generly see these in almost new condition, That spool worked lose, the line sliped and to my knowledge not many shops repaired them. also to take the spool out you have to take the spool apart and take it out in sections. I too have found the metal frame handle part with both leters and of #s, as for the wood grips its my personal thoughts that a company that makes gun grips most likely had the sub contract on that part of the reel. The chekering is almost the same as used on S&W target revolvers. and the same Diamond patern. As for the spring loaded pawl, thats a (pice of work) ! darn pawls are softer than plastic, and a real chalange to make on a lathe, if you make them hard the eat up the level wind worm, and that part now has to be reconditioned, yes its work however we have done several with a good metal platers help. The other part thats weak is the pus button drag, a real pain to remake. Dont lose a bearing cap, none that I know about , I got the last ones from a repair shop in Detroit 17 years ago. We have found a way to modifie them with pael caps and a replacement spring, it works however not the same style. As for fishing them? they dont real properly with fish over 6lbs. Next problem was to unstick the rod from the reel, if its stuck, get two blocks of soft wood, make a slight grove in the blocks then place the rod in the grove and clamp in a vise, the rods are solid yes they were made from surpls antenas If you mesure the longest againts the shortest you will find the tip end varies not the but end. To remove them with the wood clamps and rod in the vise just keep it stright and jerk it untill it come out, we use a good overnight soaking with Marvel oil and they generly slip out like a loose childhood tooth! Do not remove the black surfaceof the rod as these are soft steel and will rust very fast. I have 3 more days with our tackle show and 6:30 am gets around faster than a bill collector, after the show we can exchange ideas , as I only have 117 more reels to do before I can go Fishing! Your Ohio Conection Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG
hurdpete

supercasters, again

Post by hurdpete »

Swim Jig:

I hope you're holding up well at the show; it'll only take you a week or so to recover after it's over! I noticed that Lynn Thomas, earlier in this thread, indicated that both plastic handled Hurds had serial numbers with "H1" suffixes - I wonder if this is an accurate marker. Have you ever had one of the Casters in hand to check out? The ad pictures seem to show that the grip is one piece which slides over the tang of the frame - is this correct, or are they just a plastic version of the wood grips, using the same frame as the wooden ones? Also, have you ever actually seen a combo shorter than 4 1/2 feet overall?

You might be right about the grips being subcontracted, although I don't see why the subcontractor would bother to write the numbers on the grips unless there was some degree of hand matching to a particular frame. The checkering is a standard gun pattern; I've seen it on rifles, shotguns and pistols also. I guess that I'll have to exchange grips on a couple of them to see how much variation there actually is.

Aaargh- too many questions and not enough answers!
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Milt:

For your Hurd listings file:

My only Hurd Supercaster has #7148 on underside of front of reel, walnut checkered handle and antenna like one peice black metal rod. Also have zippered case too short I guess from shrinkage

Have never disassembled. Near perfect condition. Bell shaped nobs have 3 concentric rings. Not magnetic. Maybe Aluminum?

Length has been discusssed several time. How is length measured? Overall? My measurement - Tip to butt of handle - overall length is 5 feet.

Dale.

Post by Guest »

Dale:

I noticed your new post- the reel knobs are aluminum. Length is the way you measured it - overall length of the combo, butt to tip. Does your reel have a clicker slide with a recessed center, or one with a raised center? If there isn't any line on the reel, is the spool spindle polished aluminum or black painted? You're right about the cases- they all shrank about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, which exposed the stiffener rod and makes them just a whisker short to close all the way with a 5 foot combo.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Just to bring this back to the top. Thanks for the tip Phil.

I picked up a supercaster this week end. Serial Number 7310. Checkered wood handle, aluminum knobs. Cool rod reel combo!

Dave "O"
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

FYI - I have #22062, with checkered wood grips and aluminum knobs.
jonny mack
Frequent Board Poster

hurd supercaster

Post by jonny mack »

have rare white at least i think so number 3122HI very good condition
jackpine
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jackpine »

Another FYI---serial # on mine 24105

Fran 8)
Last edited by jackpine on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchells4ever
Big ORCA Fan

hurd

Post by mitchells4ever »

Col. Milton, if you get this, could you give me a jingle? I figured you would have stopped by to see me this past week, and I been wanting to talk to you...oh yeah, this is supposed to be about hurd...um, one piece combo rod & reel, you have a few of them...oh well, you've hurd this all before...LOL
hbbubba
Big ORCA Fan

Re: the odd HURD serial #s

Post by hbbubba »

probably a wild goose chase, but any way my neighbor just gave me a hurd supercaster #12657....48 inches long......no eyes just tip eye......looks like everything is there except knob??bearing?for side opposite of handle ......anybody got one thanks
fridgedr
Big ORCA Fan

Post by fridgedr »

I have a Hurd with case and paperwork, s/n 35018, checkered wood grips, aluminum knobs.
I have another rod s/n A 97693, checkered wood grips, aluminum knobs.
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

I picked up a supercaster this weekend at an auction, the lot was described as follows: “(5) vintage casting rods with one built in pistol grip reel”....lot also included a nice bamboo Edward vom hofe, bamboo Montague and others all in very nice condition. Anyway I just wanted to add serial # to thread, #28913, checkered walnut grip, aluminum knobs, 5’ long. Everything in great condition. Only one twist to the serial number mystery, the “8” was over stamped a “2”. Why was that? Who knows? Probably never will.