Rare Penn Senator 20/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Sharkpro789
Frequent Board Poster

Rare Penn Senator 20/0

Post by Sharkpro789 »

Im 27 years old and i love fishing and collecting old Penn Reels/Ocean City. Heres a story about a Rare Penn Senator 20/0 read it, its pretty interesting. Are they real and anyone have one out there. Read 3rd post by Hoogan and 7th post by william. Heres the link to my local shark fishing forum. http://www.southfloridasharkclub.com/fo ... php?t=2158 Though id share.
Last edited by kyreels on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct link
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Re: Rare Penn Senator 20/0

Post by kingfisher »

The BS of a 20/0 surfaced here on ORCA once before .It was just a a computer doctored photo of a 16/0 logo made to read 20/0 . You will come across a 32/0 if you search . Someone used a 16/0 and excessively widened it . Imagine the rod twist you would feel with tension on the line as it neared the edge of the spool flange.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6879
Here is some talk about O'size Senators and the doctored 20/0.
Last edited by kyreels on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct link
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

There is only one way a reel like a Senator 20/O can be considered real. It must be documented and pictured. Word of mouth is not good enough to verify its existence.
If a reel like a 20/O Senator would be made and released, there would be info about it, when I say info, I mean real info. At this time, there is no documentation that any major production maker produced a 20/O reel, even as a prototype.
That size reel was produced by the classic makers for celebrity customers or on a limited basis, but the creation of a true 20/O reel is not accomplished by simply making a 16/O wider. A true 20/O reel would have to be completely re-engineered in width, diameter, drags and gearing in order for it to be taken seriously. If a major company like Penn were to undertake a project like that and bring that project to a point where an actual prototype or limited edition reels existed and were released to the public, even for testing purposes only, why would it all be shrouded in secrecy :?:

As much as I wish there was some truth to this myth of a 20/O Senator, I am still not even close to being convinced.
Sharkpro789
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Sharkpro789 »

Thanks for responding. Just curious what some of the people with more years then me out there had to say about it. Def would be a badass reel if penn came out with them. I would of been in search for one.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks for responding. Just curious what some of the people with more years then me out there had to say about it. Def would be a badass reel if penn came out with them. I would of been in search for one.
:) The search is a worthy quest :!: That is the best thing about a hobby like this, there are always the super reels to search for.

The interesting part of a 20/O search is that it does not have to be limited to Penn or even limited to production brands or myths. A 20/O is rare and real, no matter who makes it. There are some reels in existence in that size.

I think the need for a 20/O size reel is extremely limited. I would not think a boat fisherman would ever need that kind of line capacity. A 16/O Penn will hold over 1000 yards of 130 pound test mono, so being spooled of that much line on a boat would be a rare occurrence because a boat can follow a running fish before he completely strips the spool. I have been watching some of the land based shark fisherman in Florida on their websites or their You Tube videos, there could be a use for a reel like that for that hardy breed of daredevils but it would extremely difficult to handle.
Maybe I am getting old and have forgot what it is like to be strong. When I watch a fisherman fight a shark from the beach it makes me tired just watching him, I think if I had to actually handle the rod my next stop would be the Emergency Room. :(
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

As a small aside, I can add that Everol currently makes a 20/0. Not just for fun, but for sale, by customer demand. I guess in some cases, 1000 yards of 130 lb mono is just not adequate. They want 1000 yards of 200 lb, or even 300 lb. For fishermen that just don't play around, I guess.

I did ask a Penn guy about the possibility of a 20/0 project back in the day. He didn't know for sure (he is the kind of guy that would) but he certainly had never seen any such thing.

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I wonder, why not use Braid. If we move to 130 pound test braid, we can shrink the diameter of the line by at least 4 times. So, that would mean I could get 4000 yards of braided 130 pound test line on a Penn 16/O.
I kind of felt that the Penn 20/O story was not based on fact.

Good to hear from you Dr. Rob. :)
Sharkpro789
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Sharkpro789 »

I'm big into the land based shark fishing plus every other type of fishing also but the good reason why people are in search of a bigger reel like the 20/0 they want to use mono line and have a to. Of line capacity ( as I Perfer mono) because after paddling 300 yards to drop a bait off the beach mono line is better at taking the beaten from
The waves and the current dragging the line through the sand/structure, the mono will hold up better even when it's frayed or has rough abrasion. As with braid if it frays it will break a lot faster or hits a sharp edge of some structure it will just Pop. Plus braid is more expensive. Another option people will do is put a ton of braid at the bottom of the spool and then tie line to line and have a top shot of mono. Many different ways. Other then that a 20/0 is just badass to have!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Well, I have to agree with the mono logic. I like mono much better than braid, it was just another option. So, you might want to check out the Dr. Rob idea and look at the 20/O Everol, they are great reels. Like fishing with a Ferrari.
Sharkpro789
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Sharkpro789 »

I have seen those new everol 20/0 there huge!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I have seen those new Everol 20/0 there huge!
Yup, and they are made in a single or two speed version. The Everol Catalog ( http://everolreels.com/wp-content/uploa ... o-2015.pdf ) claims 1050 yards of 300 pound test mono. They also make an 18/O.

At least we know that those are real and available.
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

That’s Randy Pauly’s reel. I have numbers 2 and 15 of 20
-Chris R.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Well I never big game fish but I felt I had to have one of these. Of Course mine is Lucky #13.

Everything on my reel is new and I tell myself I am crazy because I also ordered a set of the new aluminum side plates and now I have to take it down and build it all over again. Sometimes I wonder about myself. I see this as self indulgent fun, that's why this picture has the first Penn 1939 Squidder pictured with this modern massive #13 of 20 Penn Senator 20/0. Maybe I am just emphasizing that size matters.

When this thread began 6 years ago, this big 20/0 did not exist. Times change and nothing stays the same.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I'm kind of confused, I guess. How is it that the reel says "Penn Senator 20/0" but also says "By Tiburon"? So is it really a Penn Senator or is it a Tiburon?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I'm kind of confused, I guess. How is it that the reel says "Penn Senator 20/0" but also says "By Tiburon"? So is it really a Penn Senator or is it a Tiburon?
It is like any other aftermarket upgrade, except this one is a little special with the manufacturing conditions. The Penn Senator 16/0 is the heart of the reel. Ail the internals are Penn. As my reel is pictured, the Side plates and trim rings are also Penn Senator stock parts. I have ordered new side plates that have been designed to match up with the Tiburon frame. The entire project is inspired by Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore Tackle working in conjunction with Tiburon, the new Custom aluminum side plates are a continuation of collaborations. Cortez Conversions has manufactured the side plates. So what is created here is an extremely Limited (only 20 Pieces made) aftermarket Penn Senator in a massive size that never exited before. Going to interest shown in the historic flow of this thread, the demand was a curious phenomenon. Sales for the 20 pieces had to be secured before production was done by Tiburon. The entire project has been in the making for a number of years.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Interesting. Thanks, Mike, for the explanation. That sheds a lot of light on the customization aspect.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Interesting. Thanks, Mike, for the explanation. That sheds a lot of light on the customization aspect.
You are welcome. I feel as time moves on, this will become a very special piece because of the spirit of cooperation between some very special dealers and makers. This creation will be kind of unique and extremely Limited. Of course that not guarantee of value but it does guarantee a very interesting manufacturing history.