The Reel News

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

The Reel News

Post by Reel Geezer »

The November issue of The Reel News was mailed today. Unfortunately this is the issue that seems to give the Post Office the most trouble. I hope you get your issue soon. This one is 36 pages of good stuff.

:arrow: An incidental note: I have had an ad for a Gillette Pocket Fisherman in my files for many years hoping to find one at a show or on eBay where I could sneak it out because I knew what it was and no one else would. I never saw one anywhere. I finally decided to fill a space in the Reel News with the ad as an "Anyone got one of these?" type filler, and lo... For you guys going to Lang's this weekend - Item 80 "Unique probably one of a kind, traveling man's fishing outfit" is a Gillette Pocket Fisherman. They came in 60 and 100 yard sizes. The ad was from 1911, so it's an old item.
kldant

Gillete fishing kit

Post by kldant »

I've got something similar in mycollection. It is a Gillette razor accompanied by 3 spiining lures. Not awfully valuable I don't think, but kinda cool anyway.

Post by Guest »

I'm leaving early Friday morning for Lang's auction and show, and I'll be sure to grab a picture of this tough fishin' outfit. Look for the pic's here on Saturday night.
Jim
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Sorry 'bout that, I forgot to sign in before responding to the above post. :oops: :oops:
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

The Reel News

Post by piscesman »

Received my copy of the "Reel News" today. Will be thumbing through it later this weekend. I will also be traveling to Lang's, but on Sat. Always something for everyone(Just have to look hard enough!). A long drive to come home empty-handed... Never could stay for the Sat auction. It's nice to look at the items up for auction though. Beautiful reels on the cover of Reel News. Must have taken someone a while to clean them up. Would make a nice picture for November in the ORCA Calender.
Penobscot Bill
Frequent Board Poster

Reel News

Post by Penobscot Bill »

I received my copy yesterday morning, November 7th, here in northern Maine. Also, this Monday, November 10th, is the 228th birthday of the United States Marine Corps.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

really enjoyed this issue...lots of great bits. and thanks Phil and Ben re the write-up on the Flip Reel...but I want to let everyone know that it actually belongs to a collector buddy of mine, Ward Coppersmith! Haven't figured out how to talk him out of it yet!
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Mine came today!!!

Post by Harvey »

Guess what I did as soon as it arrived! Great issue! It was nice to see Jim Wiegner's name, Haven't heard from him for a while and was thinking about him not long ago. Really enjoyed the artical "Reflections of a Shakespeare salesmans daughter".
Thanks again Phil for an outstanding job!
harvey
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Article

Post by Roger Schulz »

Harvey:

I can put you in touch with the lady who developed the story for me. She lives in Tupelo, MS.

Roger
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D :o :?: :idea: :arrow: Well what are you members going to give yourselfs for chritsmas? or our spouses going to give us or we give them? Give this some thought! for a $125.00 we can get a 5 year membership, it will still be the same (old Rate) of $25.00 per year, no more sending in each year, no more stamps and a gift will give us 5 great years of imformation! ( dont foget to send your self addresed stamped envelope for your 5 year membership card! The $25.00 dollars saved will help you then donate to your charity of your choice ! ( mine is the Salvation Army) they do so much with so little and never turn anyone away! Or you can get $25.00 of those new socalled gold dollars, and give to the grandchildren when they visit, keeps them quite while you read the reel news, or just set them back for a way to buy a new line for the fishing reel, or a new set of flares for the boat, And if all things go as plained postage will be .55 cents in 2 years, and also just one card for ORCA expiration? 5years from the dues payment, The club will have some funds to invest in securities hopefuly to earn intrest on and we all will have a good feeling about that! You can bet my check will be on its way, and Roger, if you still have some badges left send one with each 5 year membership! I will make more if you run out same cost as before! Nothing zip zero! Now folks lets suport our club or beter yet (YOUR CLUB) Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG and Ryan Froggy Jig
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

RN Arrived Sat.

Post by Brian F. »

My copy arrived Sat. but did not get to see it till today. Needless to say all work stopped for half an hour! Great job as usual Phil and thank you to all contributors!
Brian