Abu Cardinal 4x

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
james

Abu Cardinal 4x

Post by james »

My father recently left me ,amongst all his stuff, an Abu Cardinal 4x. It has what they call express speed 6.1 ball bearing. Went fresh water salmon fishing with it and WOW ,great reel.
My father always told me the story of how some guy offered him 300.00 for it.It's in fairly good shape.
I could send a pic if you like.(feeling a little lazy,camera's in the car)
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Cardinal 4X

Post by Jim Madden »

James, I sure don't know anyone who would pay $300 for a 4X even in the box. In good condition without the box it may go $125 tops. The knock on that reel is that the high speed gearing makes it difficult to crank when a large fish is hooked. To fight a fish, you have to pump the rod and make real sure the drag is smooth. Believe me, I have 25 years of fishing with the the 4X to prove it. I use it for only the fast retieve lures. A regular #4 is suitable for everything else. It is a great reel spinning reel! Jim :lol:
James

Abu

Post by James »

Hey Jim
I would like to thank you for the reply.It takes someone in the know to keep others in check.I appreciate that. Perhaps the $300.00 offer has been inflated as the years go by. :oops:
I didn't let you know in my first letter but I had a stroke of bad luck that week-end and my gear never made it to the off shore Salmon run.All I had was that reel and a down- rigging rod to work with so therefore I didn't really experience the cranking issues,thinking perhaps the rod made up the difference.The drag was what had impressed me the most.
You mentioned 25 years with the 4x. Would that be with the same reel?
Thanks again...
I typically head in to Northern Quebec and fish walley . From Ottawa,a 2.5 hour highway drive,then 4 hours thru old logging roads (keep the wheels on the boulders!) ensures us the serenity we all seek,that is until we rip out something from the undercarrige of the trucks.Always a BLAST :twisted:
Cheers!
J
James

Thanks Jim

Post by James »

I' not sure if I replied correctly to your message...Check out Abu 4x.
The rookie
James
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

4X

Post by Jim Madden »

James, along with a baitcaster, I use 4 Cardinals - one 4X and 3 #4's. I have several of each totaling about 20. Keeping track of the serial numbers, I rotate them so that they come up for use every four years or so. I keep records on the boxes of years used and the date of disassembly and relubing. I've stockpiled parts, but the reels are so well-made, I can't remember ever replacing anything including bail springs. You can store the reel with the bail folded down. As you've noticed, the drags are excellent, but I've found they're best when they're completely dry. It sounds like you've got some interest in reels. Check into joining ORCA. It's a good passtime, and you'll meet a great bunch of guys. :) Jim
james

Post by james »

Thanks again!
J