Flummoxed by a Pflueger

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Flummoxed by a Pflueger

Post by Mike Franzen »

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the two metal attachments are on the tail plate of this Templar? [timg][/timg]
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Flummoxed by a Pflueger

Post by m3040c »

They look like attachments for a shoulder strap. "Flummoxed" is a very interesting word. I need to use in the future as it has a meaning that directly relates to how I spend much of my life..................<:O)
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

Use away!! I believe the rule is use a new word three times and it becomes part of your vocabulary :-)
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Three times. OK, I will remember that. Flummoxed----Flummoxed----Flummoxed.................

Sort of reminds me of Beetlejuice---Beetlejuice---Beetlejuice...................... You know what happens then...............<:O(
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Other thing that comes to mind is some sort of harness since the reel never came with any type of harness lugs. But being on one side, doesn't seem real structurally beneficial.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

That's what I think Brian. The only thing that makes sense to me is there must have been another set installed on the other plate and throughout time in became lost. I thought someone on here would have seen these before. There must be other examples out there.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Mike,

I'm fairly sure I saw this for auction on Ebay. I noticed that there were no extra holes drilled on the head plate side to show that more brackets had been fitted.
It would not be Pflueger made so you would not see many modified like this.

Ray
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

This is the one from eBay auction. No extra holes are drilled anywhere. It's made to fit the existing crossbar screw holes. I wonder if pflueger made it because it would probably fit only their reels. Also, there is no makers name on them and I think that is typical of pflueger factory add ons.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

No extra holes are drilled anywhere. It's made to fit the existing crossbar screw holes. I wonder if pflueger made it because it would probably fit only their reels. Also, there is no makers name on them and I think that is typical of pflueger factory add ons.
I believe they are meant for some sort of carry strap. They do not look strong enough to be used as harness lugs. The mount holes for these brackets are not really holes, they are slots, which means they have a multi purpose. They must fit more than one reel model.

The makers mark not being there can follow a Pflueger practice. When Pflueger would install a thumb stall onto a production reel, they would not have the makers marks on the part; but, when selling the part in the after market, the Pflueger logo and name would be stamped onto the part.

I looked through the Wayne Ruby Pflueger book and found nothing like this. I wonder if they were repurposed from some other product?
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Maybe it was meant as part of a strap-down assembly while still on the rod, to anchor the rod & reel to the boat in some fashion when not in use.
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Maybe it was meant as part of a strap-down assembly while still on the rod, to anchor the rod & reel to the boat in some fashion when not in use.
That could be. Similar to a lanyard that would be used to prevent a rod from falling or being pulled over board.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

if it's conjecture , I think they would have used holes instead of slots for tie downs or harness for ease of use.
Aftermarket , not so great . Could be why you have not seen many.
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

Just another idea to consider, some thoughts on previous comments and an admission that I know almost nothing about American made reels. Could the slots be added as part of a wall storage fixture? Perhaps something fitted into the slots and held the reel on a wall when it was not in use. Something like a key hole fitting. One person said "not seen many". Have any other reels been seen with these fittings? Words are best remembered before dementia sets in - kids need to hear a word lots and lots of times before recall happens - unless it is a swear word. They get those first time up. Patent makes can be traced. Have you done that Mike? It would/should determine who owned the patent. I hope you get the info Mike - it's an interesting one.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It's just marked "Pat. Applied For". No way to track that and no evidence that a patent was ever assigned to anybody.
Mark
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

That kills that idea.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

I took the pieces off the reel to see if there were any identifying marks but as you can see there aren't. I'm debating whether or not to leave them off. What say you?
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I'd leave them off for now, just to see how many different models it could possibly fit. See how "universal" it really is. But, if it were mine, I'd at least keep it with the reel.
Mark
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I'd leave them off for now, just to see how many different models it could possibly fit. See how "universal" it really is. But, if it were mine, I'd at least keep it with the reel.
Mark
100% agree!