Question for Ocean City Reel Collectors

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Question for Ocean City Reel Collectors

Post by BILL HOERTER »

In cleaning up at my old Home Place I came across 2 old Ocean City Jones Beach Reels that my father & I used to fish with in the Chesapeake Bay & the rivers that fed into it. They were the first saltwater fishing reels we owned & they were given to us by an old family friend because all we had at the time were hand lines. This was in the early 1950s & the reels were used.
The only OC reels I collect are the "Metal Disc" ones & these 2 reels are all bakelite & the stamping is on the bottom of the foot. I know OC made these reels with their stampings on the reels in different places in different years & I would like to know what years their stamping was made on the bottom of the reel foot so I can date my 2 reels. Thanks - Bill Hoerter
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Question for Ocean City Reel Collectors

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Bill, The Jones Beach was available from 1938 to 1942. All years it was stamped on the foot. In 1942 it had a plastic torpedo handle knob otherwise 38' to 41' it had a pear shaped wood knob. Hope that helps, Jeff
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Thanks Jeff - Just the info I needed & more. On the handles - one of the reels has a torpedo handle & I thought it was a replacement. That extra info was great to have. These 2 reels are all cleaned up & will go in my all hard rubber & all bakelite style salt water reel display. Thanks again - Bill
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Pictures, please!! Us OC reel nuts want to see! :D
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Well here's one...

I think they are mighty pretty reels.

And a question: What kind of line is this? It is not shiny like nylon. Could it be linen?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

And a question: What kind of line is this? It is not shiny like nylon. Could it be linen?
The line is linen. Pound Test Graded by threads, approximately 2.7 pound test per thread, if I remember right.

Here is the Jones Beach model in the 1939 catalog:

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, m3040c.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

The Jones Beach model is last seen in the 1942 catalog. The handle style did change but the reel is the same. So I guess using the handle style to determine the reels exact date is the best way to go. The Jones Beach model did not return to production after the war.

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks for these. I like the older wood knob.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks for these. I like the older wood knob.
I like the older wood knobs also. I feel they were more durable too. Many of the Plastics used in the 1930's and 40's were very susceptible to degrading in the sun, some actually melted away to nothing. Interestingly, they were considered high tech back then, an upgrade to wood. Bakelite plastics were great but the celluloids turned to goo.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

What about the “hard rubber”? Did it hold up?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

What about the “hard rubber”? Did it hold up?
Bakelite was superior to hard rubber. Bakelite is completely inert. Bakelite will get bleached and the surfaces will show their age but the structural integrity of it is great. Chemicals will make a mess of hard rubber, while Bakelite will stand up to most. You could clean Bakelite with harsh oil based thinners like Acetone, I do not think hard rubber will stand up to that. I like hard rubber reels because they represent an era of tackle building that identifies with a Golden Age of fishing tackle.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks. Yes, I love the look of those hard rubber/German silver reels. In fact, I just finished one, which I'll post when I get a moment.

I've found some Bakelite has appeared to fade or "frost" a bit with mineral spirits. Maybe it's just been coming clean of grease and oils? But, I've been being careful to keep it clear of both Bakelite and hard rubber. A little oil blackens them up really nicely though.