ORCA at FATC Daytona

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

ORCA at FATC Daytona

Post by Mike N »

Let’s get this show started:

That’s two of ORCA’s finest, Ed Pritchard (“Reels as Big as Your Head”) and Dean Smith (reelsmith), in the bottom row, center, surrounded by Ronel Lewis of San Francisco on left and Alaskan, Joe Connors on the right.

In the back are former ORCA president Dr. John Elder, in from California; the one and only Terry Ow, Jay White , Mike Nogay (in fedora hat), and the expert’s expert, Jim “A Treasury of Reels” Brown.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: ORCA at FATC Daytona

Post by john elder »

So great to see everyone and so many reels!! Good times!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You guys just keep in mind mortgage rates are dropping. Finance or refinance is once again an option so don't let price get in the way. :jester
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

ORCA members Dan Marini and Ron Gast look over Ron’s reels and Field & Steam badges

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

An incredible reel display by ORCA member Butch Carey and Butch and ORCA Treasurer Roger Schulz enjoying the great FATC show. Lower photos are reels exhibited by Tom Greene.

Last edited by Mike N on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

A few other rustic and Florida items:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

ORCA member Tony Floridia recently discovered this little competition casting reel complete with extra perforated spools in New York, and I was lucky enough to talk him out of it. Tony also acquired a super unique tournament cutaway reel built into the rod handle. I’ll try to post a photo of that reel tomorrow.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

And for those of us who will be shoveling our driveways next week...

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Livin The High Life again!!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Great photo, Michael! Looks like quite a few amazing reels and related items there. Good to see so many ORCAns.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

These two are following me home. One for me and one for a friend.

Great show with good ORCA representation. Lots of reels with all genres and price ranges covered. Loads of fun seeing all of my pals. My thanks to all who made the trip, especially Mike Nogay and John Elder, who I had not seen in far too long.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

John Yancey, Tom Greene and Jim Brown examine what is likely the earliest known Meek reel, circa. 1830. Note the manner in which the reel foot is attached to the pillars. The reel, owned by John Yancey, is stamped Meek twice, once on the outside center of the reel foot on each side.

Last edited by Mike N on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

ORCA member Tony Floridia with his recently-discovered tournament casting reel built into the handle.It also has a unique extension bracket (pictured) for the line guideline.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Here is one of ORCA’s earliest members, Norm Pinardi, of Florida. Norm was offering these two really cool MEEK silver items— a dinner spoon and large laddle spoon.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The FATC held a nice 175 item auction tonight at 7pm as a club fundraiser. Anything for sale that walks in off the street goes into the auction and club members can sell items, too. There’s a 10% premium for buyer and seller and of course 6.5% sales tax. Here’s a box of lures and a tournament jacket from the 1960s-70s that sold. There were also a few nice JVH reels and two really nice empty boxes for a large Penn Senator, which I’m told by Ron Gast can exponentially increase the value of a stand-alone reel.

Mike N

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice photos and good to see a lot of ORCA members!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Post by butch carey key west »

I am very happy, my display of George Stevens Big Game Reels won Best Of Show
Butch Carey
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Congratulations Butch. You Da Man!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

butch carey key west wrote:I am very happy, my display of George Stevens Big Game Reels won Best Of Show
Butch Carey
Butch, that display was incredible. Congratulations.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Another great Daytona show, Its been a long time since I have seen so many fantastic reels in one place at one time. Also, its been a while since I have seen so many great reel collectors in one place at one time. What a great group of people!

My wish is for the Daytona show to continue to attract more reel collectors every year so that those who attend can see, purchase, sell, and learn more about antique fishing reels. There were experts in all sectors of the reel collecting hobby in attendance. Almost any question you had a about a reel could be answered by at least one of the members at the show. The collective knowledge of reel experts in attendance was astounding.

If you missed Daytona this year, or have never been to a Daytona show, be sure to make your plans early for next year, you won't be disappointed.

Congrats Butch for winning best of show for your Stevens reel display.
Last edited by reeltackle on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks much Ed for your great hospitality, along with all you other Florida folks! And congrats to Butch for that Best of Show award! I was thrilled to see that, especially since Bill Hoerter showed yet another great display, this time outlining detalls of the history of Conroy. Bill won a well-deserved best reel display award, but the Stevens story outlined such an important corner of Florida reelmaking. Hats off to you, Butch and Bill!

Yes, great reels for sure... but i didn’t travel 3500 miles round trip to see reels.... it is truly all about the people and boy, do we have a great bunch!!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Truly a great show and great people. Found a lot of great reels. On Saturday towards the end of the show I asked a number of members if they had reels that they would like to donate to the Silent Auction at the Tulsa Convention at the end of May. I was overwhelmed by what our ORCA members gave me. When I added up the value of the reels based on prices they were asking, it totaled over $4,000. That was unreal and they were all good reels. Our great ORCA member from Alaska, Joe Conners, provided $2,800 of the total amount. Since ORCA is a non-profit organizations, all members who donated will be provided with a letter for tax purposes.

If you can not attend the Tulsa convention, but would still like to donate something, give me a call.

Roger Schulz
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Yes another great show & I was very happy to receive an award for my House of Conroy & its Reel Stampings display along with Butch Carey & his Reel display. If someone had told me 19 years ago when I first joined FATC that 2 reel displays would win awards at one show I would have said no way. We need to really thank Butch Carey for all his efforts to get FATC to recognize that FATC's name was antique tackle & not antique lures. Butch stayed in there & kept punching after being told a number of times no way that FATC was a lure collecting club. Butch, my hat is off to you & you not only did a service to ORCA you did a real service to FATC in that our attendance is definitely helping them offset their unfortunate loss of so many great lure collectors that we all learned from & miss.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Ed is spot on ...Daytona is an absolutely outstanding reel show. Other than the ORCA Nationals, there is likely none better.

Congrats to Butch and Bill for their well deserved awards.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/