Its a Bronson... but...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Its a Bronson... but...

Post by stidog »

I picked up a reel the other day, I know its a bronson manufactured reel, but I am having a hard time figuring out which. It has an engraved faceplate, not chromed, its missing the jeweled caps, the tailplate is bare, and the foot is marked 38. Here are some pics. More available if needed, thanks!

Larry Stivers
now of Phelps, NY
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Its a Bronson... but...

Post by john elder »

Larry, have a look on our Bronson reel site here:

https://www.orcaonline.org/bronson-reel ... home-page/

I would get you closer but the search window doesn’t show on my iPad.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Its a Bronson... but...

Post by wrong99 »

It has the same design as the Ward's Precision 10 and 20 models by Bronson. That it's not marked suggests maybe a trade model for another retailer who wanted no markings. Bronson would supply anything a certain retailer could dream up. It was the Depression, after all. Another possibility is that the head cap came from another Bronson reel model, like the Ward's Precision. They were basically interchangeable between these types of Bronson designs. That the tail plate isn't engraved might support that theory. If true, the original head cap on your reel might have had the model stamped on it.
Mark