SAVE THE DATE - 4th Annual Reels and Deals BBQ June 8th

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

SAVE THE DATE - 4th Annual Reels and Deals BBQ June 8th

Post by Deepfins791 »

Once again, my wife and I will be hosting a BBQ at our home in Pismo Beach for all reel collectors and assorted water lovers. It will be on June 8th. In previous years, the BBQ coincided with the Pismo Beach Car Show, but because nobody went to the car show, anyway, and the car show made it difficult to find motel rooms, we decided to host the BBQ on a different date.

This would be a great excuse to plan a spring vacation to the beautiful Central Coast of California. Our BBQ is a very fun and informal get together with all our fishing, spearfishing, surfing, and tackle collecting friends, and their spouses/kids/pets, etc. After gorging ourselves with burgers and hotdogs, we retire to the tackle room to show/sell/trade tackle and solve the world's problems. If you are interested in attending or have any questions, please PM me. EVERYONE is welcome. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
John
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: SAVE THE DATE - 4th Annual Reels and Deals BBQ June 8th

Post by Mike N »

I was just watching a show on the Great American Country Channel about restoring vintage camper trailers. The company, Flyte Camp, filmed at a vintage camper show in Pismo Beach,CA and I thought, “what a beautiful spot.”

Very cool idea and kind of you to host a bunch of old reel collectors!

Here is link about that tv show:

http://www.flytecamp.com/index.php?opti ... k=category

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Just a reminder that the BBQ is about a month away. Please RSVP if you plan to attend.

Thanks!
John
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

John and Kim did another fantastic job of entertaining a crew of ORCAns and other reel collecting miscreants! I was much too busy eating and talking tackle to get pics of attendees but i did snap a few pics of John’s incredible reel collection. I hasten to add that the pics do not do justice to the incredible accumulation of reel history in his tackle room, but maybe this will give a taste to those unable to attend. Put it on the calendar for next year!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Beautiful stuff !!!! I missed being there ! John Taylor
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s such a cool thing for John and his wife to host at their home!

The photos Dr. Elder posted are great. I have to ask: what’s the story on the two wooden boxes between the two leather reel cases?

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

When John gets rested, he can come fill you in on the details, but those boxes were apparently used by Coxe for his early Swordfish reels (John's is in the middle of that row). Not sure who made them for Joe.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Thanks, Dr. Elder! Yes, we had a fantastic time. There was some really nice tackle that came to the BBQ for show/sale/trade, and the food was outstanding. Carl Lambert, a member of the Catalina Tuna Club walked into the tackle room with a jaw-dropping unlimited class Shaver rod, and made some of the best tuna poke any of us had ever tasted. Once again, Randy Pauly hosted us the day before, and mixed up a batch of ceviche using local white seabass that was to die for. Ward and Jean Tonsfeldt drove down from Oregon and brought some great Oregon wines to sample, and a handful of beautiful fly reels to show. Dan Brock also came down from Oregon with a sample of his famous Zane Grey collection. Steve Morse, a newly minted Tuna Club member, brought a suitcase full of Kov's to show and the new rod and reel connection system he designed and patented. Check it out at http://reelquickfishing.com/introduction/. Terry Ow brought a pair of beautiful 9/0 Kov’s to pass around. Phil Beguhl left the BBQ with a handful of rods to rewrap/repair. John pulled a really purty blue anodized early 12/0 Fin Nor out of his hat. Larry Lauve flew in all the way from Massachusetts, entertained us with stories about the good old days of tackle collecting, and left with an excellent 1st Gen’ 12/0 Penn he wrangled from John. Between mountains of delicious food and drink, perfect weather, and nonstop tackle chatter, everyone had a great time. Even the wives enjoyed themselves. Below are a few pictures of some of the tackle that showed up.

Mike, yes, those are wood boxes that I believe could be purchased along with a Coxe reel. Whether Coxe made them himself or he had the cabinet shop next door make them is anyone’s guess. I have only seen two of them, and have both in my collection. The boxes are virtually identical. One came with an early 9/0 Coxe Swordfish I purchased from Tom Greene quite a few years ago. The other came with a collection of LA Coxes that were in the Zane Grey mansion. That particular box has the letters “ZG” stenciled on the lid. Pic's below.

Thanks to everyone for making the get-together a big success! Can’t wait until next year!!
JB

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow. While I love any great collection of tackle, the camaraderie and fellowship shown there make that get together special.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990