Shakespeare Fly Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Fly Reel

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I just came across a Shakespeare model 7596 single action fly reel. This is the first one I have ever seen. I was really surprised when I removed the spool and saw that it is set up exactly like a Medalist. It is very solid, well made (in the USA), and the drag ain't bad either. Anyone know when they were made or anything else about them?
Joe
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Fly Reel

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I know very little about fly reels but I would guess that the similarity has a lot to do with the Shakespeare purchase of Pflueger in 1966. Identical "USA Made" reels of multiple types were sold under different names for a couple of years after that acquisition, i.e. merger.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

photos are always helpful, but Shakespeare bought up the whole world in the 60s, beginning with S. Allcock Co. in UK and Noris in Germany, Topp Tackle in UK, which included JW Young, and Pflueger in the US (finally got them out of court since 1915).
My guess is a Shakespeare-badged Medalist is 70s, which would also coincide with Shakespeare-badged JW Young reels.
jacbethke
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jacbethke »

I believe you are referring to a Shakespeare Purist Model 7596, which was also boxed as a "Wondereel." These are great reels, and they come in all of the same sizes as Medalists, except I'm unsure if they made a 1492 or 1492 1/2 equivalent. The quality absolutely rivals a 1970s USA made Medalist, and I have not owned one that had any mechanical issues, even if it was heavily used. Most of the Purists I've come across are stamped "model DJ" which corresponds to a Shakespeare date code of 1972. Nice find!