Miniature fly reel and bamboo rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Miniature fly reel and bamboo rod

Post by Mike N »

When I first started collecting in the 1980s I attended many NFLCC shows with an older buddy of mine. Now 86, my friend stopped at my office today and gave me all his back issues of the NFLCC magazine and this incredible miniature fly reel and bamboo rod. He told me it was a gift to him from a fellow NFLCC member many years ago who machined the reel and made the rod from old fly rods.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Miniature fly reel and bamboo rod

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Cool gift, Mike, that's awesome!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Tommy. A few more views. I’d like to find out who made the combo.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's the reel, sold in a set
http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/minature.htm

After JWY sold their inventory in 2002 to J Austin Forbes, JAF offered the same reel with their marking and matched with a small graphite rod.
JAF has sold their inventory to no longer having a website, and the last few reels are offered sporadically on ebay by seller fishpersonkev
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ron Mc wrote:here's the reel, sold in a set
http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/minature.htm

After JWY sold their inventory in 2002 to J Austin Forbes, JAF offered the same reel with their marking and matched with a small graphite rod.
JAF has sold their inventory to no longer having a website, and the last few reels are offered sporadically on ebay by seller fishpersonkev
Thanks. Now to figure out the 2-piece bamboo rod (unless it’s faux painted bamboo on graphite.) I’ll check tomorrow since I left it at the office.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

you're welcome - hope you make progress identifying the rodmaker
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Really nice Mike. Use it! I fish (when able) with a similar outfit. Did you read my story in “River Refections” titled “A Stellar Day on Abrams Creek”? That day I used a rod I converted from a gift many years ago and matched with a 4-Bros. Delite and 4 wt. line. Great day, great little outfit. Fish yours!

Bad Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Bad Bob, one day just to do it, I fished a Tonka Prince, Dam Effzett brass reel, mastic-varnished silk line, English silk-gut pre-tied 3-fly eyeless hook dropper rig.
I caught a double.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Ron-Agreed-fishing that kind of outfit simply makes a good day a priceless day sometimes. Cheers for old things (including us!)

BB
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great "little" piece Mike. I know Abel made a miniature reel, about 3/4 of and inch in diameter, when they first started making reels. The reel mimicked their first generation all black direct drive, rim control reels and was completely functional. I had one for several years but did not take any pictures of it.

On a side note, do you know who carved the fish in your first photo? I recently purchased one that is amazingly similar.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

reeltackle wrote: On a side note, do you know who carved the fish in your first photo? I recently purchased one that is amazingly similar.
Ed- that carved Brown Trout is one I bought on eBay from a frequent lister. He carves several species and sells them for around $65, which I think is a steal.
Here is a link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Trout-Wo ... SwkMdawRHE

I mounted it on part of an old wooden box side I disassembled.

Here are two of my other carved wood favorites. I don’t know either carver. I made both plaques from birch trees on my property and mounted the carvings.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990