The - JIM JUMP - Big Game Fishing Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

The - JIM JUMP - Big Game Fishing Reel

Post by reeltackle »

So here is a wonderful big game fishing reel mystery -

The JIM JUMP big game fishing reel. The reel is marked on the handle retaining nut -

THE
JIM JUMP
REEL
TRADE MARK
PATENTS PEND.

The reel is made of German silver and what appears to be Bakelite. The reel's handle emanates from the center of the reel so one would expect it to be a direct drive reel .... but no! This early reel has sun and planets style planetary gearing which make it a 3 to 1 multiplier (see photos below).

The reel has a star style drag system with a plan to keep the reel's star from turning too far in either direction. Attached to one of the arms of the star drag is a knob that matches up with a similar protuberance on the underside of the crank handle. The two line up so that the star can only make one 360 degree revolution before hitting the knob on the handle thus allowing it to go only so far. The drag is perfectly calibrated to go from freespool to full on drag with that one full 360 degree turn.

The reel's handle is quite unique with the counter-balance facing in towards the body of the reel and in the opposite direction of the handle knob. The reel also has a click button and fancy knurled bearing covers. You can see a set of ball bearings under the star drag in one of the close-up photos. The foot is reminiscent of the vom Hofe style with the two holes on either side of the reel seat. Stamped on the top of the inside of the foot is the number 5. Are there four more of these beauties out there somewhere????

Mr. Jump was an early member of the Tuna Club on Catalina Island and according to Mike Farrior's wonderful book on the subject was known as "King of Light Tacklers", a nickname that stuck with him for the duration. In 1917, Jump was the first to earn the Club's Red Button by catching a tuna on light, three-six, tackle weighing 57 pounds (photo below). Farrior states that Jump was always ready to defend his record and would come running on a moments notice if his record was broken. He regained his record several times over the course of a couple of years and ended the 1919 season with a record 143 1/2 pound tuna. The vintage photos of Jim Jump below are from Mike Farroir's book The History of the Tuna Club.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: The - JIM JUMP - Big Game Fishing Reel

Post by kyreels »

Nice rig. I can see myself trying to use that small handle on that Tuna, and it would be a challenge. I like the idea, but it seems like few would be successful. What are your thoughts compared to the handles on the more typical JVH or Pflueger?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Wow! That is one super piece of tackle history, Ed! the gearing still boggles my mine...admittedly that's an easy job, but could use more visual aids to see just how that gearing moves things forward. seems likely that whoever he had make that reel had no relationship with any of the makers at the time...just a very good machinist, given a special mission.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

NICE! I like it. Great history. It would be nice to find a photo of him fishing with the reel. Any idea as to when the reel was made? Is it a 6/0 size?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

For John, here's a good diagram of planetary gears, also with motion
https://www.apexdyna.nl/en/news/planeta ... roduction/
compared to a single pinion and bull, the the contact stress on the gear teeth is reduced by 2 times the number of planetary gears, and everything is self-aligning - good idea for big fish on small reel.

also guessing there was a larger cantilevered handle grasp, and that's part of the reason the grasp broke - it needed a longer spindle bolt.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I wonder if Coxe might have made it to JWJ's specs. There are some visible features reminiscent of Jaleoxe features, and maybe comparison of more internal parts might help.
Grasp, star stop, counterweight, pillar ends, "vom Hofe-style" foot:

But see also our earlier chat about planetary gearing. There were southern Californians who patented planetarily-geared reels, but it was from the late '30s on. Too late?
Last edited by Steve on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

When I was a little kid, one of my favorite children's books was titled "Jim Jump." It was about a little horse that could jump very far.
Joe
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Always excited to see a reel I’ve never seen before.

Thanks, Ed.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

kyreels wrote:I can see myself trying to use that small handle on that Tuna, and it would be a challenge.
It certainly would be a challenge but I believe the knob was much larger before it was broken. I should have mentioned that in my description. I believe from what is left of the knob that it was a tulip or bulb shaped knob. I would love to see what it looked like originally! I wonder if the Tuna Club has any pictures of Jump fishing with this reel in their archives.

john elder wrote:seems likely that whoever he had make that reel had no relationship with any of the makers at the time...just a very good machinist, given a special mission.
I agree with you John, I have a hard time pinning this one to any known reel maker.

Steve wrote:I wonder if Coxe might have made it to JWJ's specs. There are some visible features reminiscent of Jaleoxe features, and maybe comparison of more internal parts might help.
Grasp, star stop, counterweight, pillar ends, "vom Hofe-style" foot:
I just don't see it Steve. The grasp, or what is left of it is much fancier at the base. The counterbalance is all wrong and the pillars have shoulders but they are not tapered. Jump lived in California, my guess is he had some talented machinist make it there .... maybe Coxe, but it just looks a little to unrefined in my eyes to be a Coxe product.

Jay White wrote:Any idea as to when the reel was made? Is it a 6/0 size?

Jay, I have no idea when it was made. The reel is a 9/0 in size. Almost seems kind of big for the "King of Light Tacklers".

Thanks for all the interest and comments.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Jump lived in Chicago
Something's odd here. If we're talking about Blanche V. Jump's husband, the family was in the 1910 Pasadena census. Islapedia says the family moved to southern cal. around 1909. The two were listed in LA directories as late as 1938. He was born in Delaware and she, in Illinois. They married in Bond Co., Ill., in 1882, so JWJ obviously spent time in Ill., but if these are the right people, they were living in California when that reel was made.

If this is the guy, he was a shoe salesman in St. Louis, Mo., in 1900. In Pasadena, he ran a shoe factory. It looks as if he, as sales manager of a St. Louis shoe factory in 1910, may have sent the family to California before joining them there.

Please let me know if I have the wrong guy.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Steve wrote:Something's odd here. If we're talking about Blanche V. Jump's husband, the family was in the 1910 Pasadena census.
I corrected the Chicago statement prior to you making this post. I was talking on the phone to a fellow in Chicago while I was typing and typed Chicago instead of California by accident. Sorry to put you through the ringer like that Mr. Pie. Jump moved to California in 1909 and died there in 1938. My best guess is that he had the reel made sometime between 1920 and 1938.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I was talking on the phone to a fellow in Chicago while I was typing and typed Chicago instead of California by accident
Uh oh. Back to monotasking.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels