1941 Bogart movie “High Sierra”

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

1941 Bogart movie “High Sierra”

Post by Mike N »

I love looking for vintage tackle in old movies on Turner Classics.

One of High Sierra’s early scenes is at a fly fishing camp, which I believe was supposed to be in Pennsylvania. As Bogart leaves his cabin, there are two fly rod/reel combos on the front porch. One reel looks like a Pflueger Medalist. Any idea of the rod or other reel (I can see a raised pillar) from this brief screen capture?

Depiction of these screenshots is made under the Fair Use Doctrine for educational, non-profit purposes.
Last edited by Mike N on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: 1941 Bogart movie “High Sierra”

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks, that's cool. I'd bet it's Pflueger Progress behind the Medalist.
Another shiny new Medalist, c. 1939
caught a Carole Lombard movie on my DVR - so-so movie with a great beginning.
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/3517 ... wich-.html
she's "fly fishing" a Montague cane rod with shiny new Pflueger Medalist.
Apparently in her short life, she and Clark Gable fly fished routinely.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

In our ORCA version of “Six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon,” Humphrey Bogart starred in the 1944 movie “To Have and Have Not.” There is a scene where Bogey and Lauren Bacall appear with the great song writer, Hoagy Carmichael.

Hoagy’s son, Hoagy Bix Charmichael, is credited with reawakening modern interest in classic bamboo rodmaking and authored a classic book on the subject with Everett Garrison. Many longtime ORCA members remember Hoagy Bix for his regular appearances at many of the early vintage tackle shows and Oliver/Lang tackle auctions in the Northeast.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I bought this reel from Hoagy B -
It's a Young pattern 15a, its innards show it was made in 1940 wartime (it uses Hardy pawls and riveted washers in place of two of the machined brass stanchions).
The same Young reel was also imported and sold as the Thomas Special reel
Hoagy A is also in Topper with Cary Grant and Constance Bennett, closing down a bar after sunrise.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

A great photo essay of Hoagy Bix Charmichael’s incredible sidemount reel collection as well as views of HBC repairing reels and using the old Garrison lathes and equipment to make rods can be found at pages 210-213 of the book The Anglers Life, by Sheehan and Sites (published in 2000.)

I’ve recommended that great coffee table book before to ORCAns. Very reasonably priced used copies of the book are usually available on Amazon, eBay and BN.com.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

got another for you Mike,

There are 3 fly reels in Libeled Lady, 1936
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zh0EYJEVwY
William Powell is fishing a large auto - almost certainly a very collectible Martin No. 3
I think Walter Connally is fishing an 1896 Russell with round line guard.
Myrna Loy's reel is set up for LHW, possibly a Medalist 1594.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Nice!

I’ve watched the opening scene to the Andy Griffith Show probably a few hundred times but cannot make out their reels as they whistle the music. This statue is in Mt. Airy, NC (the mythical model for Mayberry). It looks like Opie is using a ZEBCO, but the handle on Andy’s reel gives me pause, assuming the sculptor was accurate.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

the 3 stooges shot a lot of fishing scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rt89-QCFgs
here, Larry is fishing a hard-rubber conventional reel (Montague Steel pivot?), Moe has a conventional bright-metal baitcaster, and Curly is using a wire trolling reel, maybe a SalTrout 1558

Here, I think Moe has the hard rubber Montague
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIN4AcebUM

same reel here on the bank with Curly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BEwUI8D6Ls

there's also ice-fishing with a hand-line
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Mike N wrote:Humphrey Bogart starred in the 1944 movie “To Have and Have Not.” There is a scene where Bogey and Lauren Bacall appear with the great song writer, Hoagy Carmichael.
Penn reels star in To Have and Have Not Mike. One goes overboard in an early scene and Bogart is seen taking screws out of one in another scene up in his room.

Next time you watch Bogart in Key Largo check out the reels in the cabin when Edward G. is down there shooting up his buddies. There is an all silver one hanging from the ceiling that I can't quite peg. It might be an Ohio Tool reel or perhaps an Endicott Wilson. It also be just another great reel mystery.

Another little fun fact - The name of the fishing boat in Key Largo is the Santana. Bogart's beloved sail boat in real life was named the Santana.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Another Hemingway-based movie, 1950 The Breaking Point, Harry Morgan's fat-cat guide fare (who stiffs him at the dock and leaves him stranded with his boat in Mexico) catches a Marlin on a 6/0 Penn Senator.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

There is an insurance ad floating around the TV set with a mother fishing with what looks like a Mitchell 300. Problem is she's holding the reel upside down. Sharp old eyes here.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

found another Medalist in 1941 - May Robson in the opening scene of Million Dollar Baby