HI Fly Reel Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

HI Fly Reel Question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I recently received an H.I. Sportcraft 60 single action fly reel. I have to say I am really impressed with this reel. I have my eye on a couple of more. These reels usually sell for pretty low prices, but there is nothing cheap about them. A simple click and pawl fly reel, but man it is solid. It has a grey gunmetal finish and is a fairly small reel at just slightly under three inches across. I also like the small size.

Now for my question: Does anyone know about when these reels were made? I have an older (can't remember the year) H.I. catalog and the reel is not in there. I'm guessing 50's or 60's but I am not sure.
Joe
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: HI Fly Reel Question

Post by Ron Mc »

They were made in the 60s, and they're actually the last variant of the Shakespeare Russell.
You'll probably find a lot if you search on FFR
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for the info, Ron. I really appreciate it. I have a couple of Shakespeare Russells and they don't seem to have stood the test of time as well as the Sportcraft 60, but now that you mention it, I do see the similarities.

Thanks for the link, wrong99.
Joe
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

they made 2 sizes, 60 and 100
The finish on all I've seen was a fragile vinyl enamel, almost like a powdercoat.
The 60 is a good match on short glass rods, such as Fenwick FF60.

The prewar Russells are high-quality reels, and I enjoy fishing them.
Less so for the large diameter postwar Russells. Nice about the sportcraft, they were smaller diameters, which makes them function a bit tighter.
Where you really see the family connection is the same spring and pawl, and the same thumbscrew.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The Sportcraft 60 first shows up in my 1951 H-I catalog, so they sold for quite awhile it seems.
Mark