Help with i.d. info on 1950's (?) Medalist 1494

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wthorpe
Big ORCA Fan

Help with i.d. info on 1950's (?) Medalist 1494

Post by wthorpe »

Hi. New ORCA member, newish participant on the forum.

I have made some effort to pin down what changed when on the 1494's, with only mixed success thus far, relying mainly on these items: 1. Some recently acquired articles in old Reel New by Miller and Lawson. 2. An Angler's Guide To The Classic Pflueger Medalist Article and Photographs by Joe Cornwall [Admin removed due to bad link]. 2. Pflueger Medalist Reels - A History , Komar

With that background I have seen a 1494 purportedly made in 1954 with ivory latch cover (TM in the middle), and along the bottom of the frame stampe into the frame are Diamolite Lineguard on the left, No. 1494 in teh center, and Made in AkronOUSA on the left. My best understanding from all of these above sources is that Made in AkronOUSA replaced Patented in either 1956 (the article above by unk author) or 1959 (Cornwall and Komar).

Sooo, anyone have an answer to when the Made in AkronOUSA 1494 could have been first made? I recognize one possibility is that this is a 1956 or 1959 or later reel in a 1954 non-original box with a 1954 "manual". Indeed, based upon what i "know" that seems like the most likely possibility.

Chasing down these details about Medalists sort of makes my head explode. I hope it is not just me! I will appreciate all info that will keep my poor head from exploding further. thanks.
Last edited by kyreels on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bad links and links to pharmacy sites - keep an eye on this one
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Help with i.d. info on 1950's (?) Medalist 1494

Post by wrong99 »

Two out of three say the change was made in 1959. Regardless, I have to believe you have a later reel in an earlier box. Things get switched around quite often by former owners or collectors.
Mark
mrriver
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Help with i.d. info on 1950's (?) Medalist 1494

Post by mrriver »

I think the change happened in the early 1950's: 1952 or 1953. based on extensive research over the past 10 years. Some of the information published in Komars article is inaccurate.