1950's Super Flex

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

1950's Super Flex

Post by Bigdog »

Just acquired a 1950's vintage super flex, can anyone give me an idea about rarity and value.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: 1950's Super Flex

Post by Mike N »

I know a little bit about antique tackle and would like to help but I have no idea what a super flex is...a rod maybe?

Can you post a photo?

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bigdog »

It is a reel. Still new to the post a photo process. Will try tomorrow.
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bigdog »

By trial and error I got the Image to appear. Reel face appearing in photo is 3 1/2". Back of reel is 4". Suprt flex is stamped on back. Line guard. Thumb screw Brake visible in photo. Levewr clicker.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Looks like a takeoff on the Hardy Silaflex? Can you post pic of the other side,pls?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The following photos are from sportfishingmuseum.ca under “unkown reels.”

A mooching reel is a single action reel that is used for "mooching". It is a technique that is used for salmon. It allows you to peel off several feet of line at a time while feeding out a herring rigged on a hook under a banana sinker. [where I come from, mooching is when you still live at home with your parents after college.]

According to AnglingUnlimited.com, “All you do is hook a plug-cut herring to a set of tandem hooks on a 7 or 8-foot leader. Tie the leader to a mooching sinker of four to eight ounces; drop it all in the water and fish it until a salmon rings your bell.”

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice sleuthing, Mike!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

Super flex reel

Post by Bigdog »

The reel you show image of is identical to the one I have. It is actually in a museum in Vancouver. I plan on visiting it soon to further ivestigate. My picture quality is not the greatest I'm working on it . Thanks for any effort in helping. You are quite right it does look very similar to the Hardy series Silex. I have Over 4 dozen Hardy series reels many dating back to pre 1900.
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

SuperFlex Reel

Post by Bigdog »

Museum shown in your photo is in Vancouver and I have planned on visiting it as they have a significant vintage Hardy collection. I also have a significant collection of Vintage pieces including 10 Rod in Hand Brass Faced Hardy's from the very early 1900's to the late 1800's. also have over 3 dozen vintage Silex reels. I also have a significant Hardy and Percy Wadhams Lure collection numbering over 160 pieces. As if that's not enough I collect old Creels and Cane Rods. My wife thinks I'm nuts.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: SuperFlex Reel

Post by Paul M »

FYI The Sportfishing Museum on Granville Island (Vancouver, BC, Canada) was permanently closed in 2008. http://66.51.163.9/fishing/about/info.cfm. Most or all of the museum collection was liquidated by auction years ago. I made the mistake of trying to visit when I was in the area not long after. At that time the sign was still on the front door but it was already shut down. I was so disappointed. The museum collection only exists in cyberspace. Some of the descriptions of reels in the collection are based on guesses by the museum curator so the reel needs more research. There were west coast Canadian makers like Thomas Cemm, for example, that made mooching and fly reels using design cues of more famous makers. The rim control for clicker or brake is something seen in a Hardy Silex. Actually I believe Hardy took or threatened legal action against Cemm for his knock off of the Silex.

Completely unrelated to your reel, I was recently in contact with the former museum owner about a rare reel he put up for auction. It is the subject of an article submitted to the Reel News.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

Re: SuperFlex Reel

Post by Bigdog »

Thanks for the info, won't have to make that trip.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Perhaps a moderator can combine the several threads started on this same reel so that a search of forum subjects years from now will have everything in one place.

Thanks

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990