J.B.Moscrop Miniatures

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

J.B.Moscrop Miniatures

Post by Bigdog »

I have 6 in total. I is stamped with the J.B. Moscrop name and Manchester on the underside of the foot. The other 5 have no markings and I'm guessing they may be knockoffs. The quality and workmanship on all 6 is the same. As you can see in the photos the sizes vary. This is a very interesting collection. I acquired these from an old collector who picked them up over multiple years,25 to 30 years ago. Does anyone know anything about these. the photos don't show the true original.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: J.B.Moscrop Miniatures

Post by Paul M »

There have been several posts here in Reel Talk about the “Fisherman Scene reels”. You can search for that term. The originals were made by Heaton and were unmarked. There are LOTS of poor quality reproduction/knock-offs. Moscrops was a legit reel maker but reels with that maker name are also faked and I’m not sure that Moscrops actually made these reels. Closer clear pics of the scenes front and back and the screws/feet and Moscrop marks will help inform about the quality.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Bigdog
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bigdog »

Thanks Paul.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Having been a long time admirer of John Brown Moscrop, studied his reels and the construction in some detail I can categorically state that these are forgeries. Modern reels made to deceive the general public. Look out for the bad copies of the Malloch sidecaster usually marked Harlow.