Heddon bamboo rods inquiry

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Heddon bamboo rods inquiry

Post by Reeltyme »

Ladies, gentlemen, folks. I have 2 Heddon bamboo rods, 1- 3 piece fly rod and 1 Heddon Deluxe casting rod with 2 tips. Both rods need 1 eye replaced on the butt section. The fly rod eye is m.i.a. But the Deluxe rod has the original eye attached with a bread tie. Both rods have bad/aged varnish. Both rods have either original or very old socks. One sock, the fly rod sock, is rough and the Deluxe rod sock is pretty good. I know pictures are worth a thousand words, they are also a pain to load up. I am also quite aware that this is a fishing reel forum. I am interested in selling these 2 rods and thought I would put out some feelers to see if anyone here would be interested, if not, I will put them on the “bay”. If there is interest, I will put them up for sale in the “for sale” section. Thanks for your time!
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Heddon bamboo rods inquiry

Post by Ron Mc »

Will need the following listed for the fly rod - markings from the rod, e.g., Heddon No. 14 Thorobred 1-3/4f; length of the assembled rod, number of pieces/ tips, a detailed list of what's missing from each rod.

Functional Heddon fly rods can vary in value from $100 to $1000, depending on the configuration, grade and condition. The higher the model number, the higher the grade. No. 20 and higher were benchmade rods, hand-split cane, etc. The lower numbers were production rods (the cane was sawed), but the desirable configurations can still be several hundred dollars - e.g., the desirable 8' rod with the marking I listed above and shown just below is worth $500+ in restored condition.

Keep in mind some rods are worth restoring even in terrible condition, and salvageable hardware from benchmade rods has value even if the cane is shot. Mildew, dry rot - storage history is everything. Cane rods kept in the attic will dry rot, rods kept in the barn will mildew. Hopefully you can provide history and know they were stored indoors.

The casting rods in fishable condition typically go for around $100, but there are exceptions. Whatever markings you can get from the rod will help there, and two tips says it's probably a higher grade rod and worth more. Bass-weight cane rods are typically more desirable than heavy muskie rods. And at some point will need photos anyway, so if you can share them here, that will help. Rarely will any casting rod go for more than $350, and that includes my marked 1914 FE Thomas Mahogany grade bait rod.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thanks for the info Ron, but I already new the value and required information to post them for sale. I just wanted to know if there was any interest in them here in the club, before I put them on EBay. I know how to upload pictures here, done it many times, but it isn’t easy. It’s a bit time consuming, and can be a waist of time when there is no interest in what you have to show!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

oops, sorry - still always like to see them, but will admit to not being in the rod market at present. What can I say, I like photos as the stuff of internet BBs, and good rod photos have entertainment value.
I'll also add that people's interest may be piqued by the specific rod configurations (as in, I always wanted one of those.)
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

Rather than put the rods on E-Bay, you might want to consider the Clarks Bamboo website.
Lots of smart people there and someone is always buying.

Tom Durose
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

no question the best cane rod classifieds extant. Bought and sold many rods there, and never tried on ebay.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Not a problem Ron, no offense taken. Just curious about interest. I do appreciate the heads up on the bamboo website! I will probably check it out. I see it is a “Dr. Todd” site, highly respected by me.