CAFTA show today was pretty good for reel collectors

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

CAFTA show today was pretty good for reel collectors

Post by Paul M »

I spent my day at the CAFTA Spring show (Canadian Antique Fishing tackle Association) in St. Jacobs, Ontario, Canada. I counted at least 3 other ORCA members in attendance and several collectors that ought to be ORCA members. After years of doing reel displays at this show it seems like the dam has finally broken. It is no longer a lures-only crowd. There were lots of reels for sale and reel buyers like I have never seen. Old British reels were in high demand, particularly Hardy Perfect, St. George and Altex reels. One buyer scored with a very well priced Coxon-Aerial (that is a very early Aerial reel with ebonite spool frame and a starback wooden backplate). Another fellow got a fishable Alcedo Micron. As for American reels I saw a very nice Marhoff with mottled green/white side plates, a fine condition Bronson 5000 walked in off the street and I was able to examine a minty Sellers with shiny brass finish and box paper although couldn't get the owner to put a price on it. He must have been trolling. I was too busy to take pics but this is what the crowd looked like during the peak in one half of the room.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: CAFTA show today was pretty good for reel collectors

Post by Mike N »

Thanks for posting, Paul. I love hearing about tackle shows. As for your comment that “Old British reels were in high demand, particularly Hardy Perfect, St. George and Altex reels,” I have seen that same international trend on eBay the past year.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: CAFTA show today was pretty good for reel collectors

Post by Paul M »

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006