The Metastasis of Advertising

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

The Metastasis of Advertising

Post by Steve »

...how did two Yankees...convince a Louisville merchant...to carry their “basket” fly reel in numbers large enough to warrant paying for a newspaper advertisement?
Just about every city, town, village, and hamlet in the mid-19th-century U.S. could boast of at least one newspaper and one general store, fancy-goods store, hardware store, or whatever. Most of them, including so-called pharmacies, carried a huge variety of wares, virtually everything that urban or rural folks needed. Fishing tackle, too, of course.
For example:
Clarksburg, WV, 1853

Wheeling, WV, 1857

Fayetteville, NC, 1859

Glasgow, MO, 1859

St. Cloud, MN, 1858

Where did all that stuff come from? In colonial times, most of it came from England. Merchants would advertise long lists of the wares in the shiploads they had just received. By the mid-19th-century, the country was manufacturing infinitely more domestically. But the factories were concentrated in the northeast, and the wholesalers were located in cities like Boston, New York, and Philadelphia.

Naturally, the manufacturers and wholesalers sought to expand their markets. How better to do that than by advertising in every newspaper in the country? The wholesalers included tackle makers.
For example:
Sumter, SC, 1854

Baton Rouge, LA, 1854

Most of the larger establishments sent agents to the larger cities to stock up on wares for the next season. Their subsequent ads usually led off with "Just Received!" or similar announcements, which were followed by lists of huge varieties of goods. When warranted, the ads even pushed brand names. All those roads, canals, and railroads were not built just for the convenience of passengers.
Clarksburg, WV, 1853

Cleveland, OH-1860

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: The Metastasis of Advertising

Post by RonG »

Hey Steve,

Interesting synopsis of how business was done back in the early 1800's.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Steve. I really had no idea of the national retail distribution reach of the New York and New England tackle manufacturers even before the Civil War. I just assumed it was fairly regional. I was surprised you found an 1853 ad. Very cool.

p.s.
“Clarksburg, WV, 1853”....The location would have been Clarksburg, VA since West Virginia was not granted statehood and secession from Virginia until June 20, 1863. The ad notes Fairmont, which is only 21 miles away from Clarksburg.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Great time to be an old tackle researcher. No need to spend hours hoping you can find something in an old volume at a regional library. The amount of research material available right on your home computer is truly amazing. We've had a discussion on pre-civil war fishing tackle. How amazing is that! Now if I can only find the 1946-1948 information I'm looking for I'll be very happy!

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

location would have been Clarksburg, VA
I knew that but decided it would be less confusing to use WV. The source files are all named "...Va.[W.Va.]"
if I can only find the 1946-1948 information
Thanks to the Disney Corp., you only have to wait until 2548, when the copyrights may finally expire.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great way to illustrate your point Pie. Do you think tackle manufactures helped co-op the advertising costs with the retailers for pushing their products like they do today? Those old ads really help tell the story, thanks for the history lesson.

So many manufacturers and wholesalers have such elaborate web sites now that a retailer can purchase a complete inventory of goods online and never leave the shop. Massive trade shows like ICAST however still provide tackle retailers and modern day “fancy notion” stores that carry tackle with a good hands-on, up-close way to select inventory and, just like the good old days, the buyer still has to travel to get there.

Please elaborate on the Disney 2548 comment. What is that all about?
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Do you think tackle manufactures helped co-op the advertising costs with the retailers...
Good question, but way beyond my ken.
the Disney 2548 comment. What is that all about?
As Colby likes to say: "Keepin' It Fun!" What could be more fun than studying copyright law at home, preferably by oil lamplight in a log cabin? Here are assignments 1, 2, and 3. Or you could ask at the Disneyland main office.
...elaborate web sites now...
It's amazing how the web has changed commerce. People have already forgotten the disruptive effects that the Sears catalog had when it was first issued in 1888. And the massive trade shows at the London and New York Crystal Palaces in the 1850s. Now it's hard to look at anything on earth without seeing an ad for something. But the best news is that the advertisers now have us doing most of their work for them.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

more proof that times do change

As paper catalogs are replaced by internet links, they raise one rhetorical question.
Nothing manufactured today will be archived, and may never achieve Collectible status, because no one will have paper to compare it to. (guess you can also argue Chinese imports don't deserve collectible status, anyway)

I went through the exercise recently looking for the specs on and photos of a high-grade kayak that went out of production in 2014 - that's 5 years ago, guys - maker still a major player in the market. Ten years ago, endless links on this boat would search up instantly if you googled composite kayak. I found one on-line "magazine" that has searchable archives of their past boat reviews, and gave me most of the information I was looking for - but not even the maker publishes an archive of their boat from 5 years ago.

Most of the websites I (we) routinely used for archival searches 8 or 10 years ago (e.g., the bamboo fly rod taper database with load curves) - don't exist any more.
As the information age pummels us with up to date marketing, much of the information you and I seek for our hobby is lost forever.