Fishing Legend Bill Schaadt's Rogue Model 200 Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Z3BigDaddy
Frequent Board Poster

Fishing Legend Bill Schaadt's Rogue Model 200 Reel

Post by Z3BigDaddy »

This weekend I was able to close a wild deal and add another Rogue Model 200 to my collection. This one once belonging to and was used by legendary West Coast fisherman Bill Schaadt. Bill Schaadt was without argument the premier fly fisherman of salmon and steelhead on the West Coast and his peer will most likely never be found. This reel is the one Bill used when on the Smith River in California in 1972, he battled an over 42 pound salmon through the night for 11 hours and 33 minutes before landing him. Russel Chatham's book "Anglers Coast" chronicled the entire battle in a story titled "Night of the Salmon. In his book there is a photo showing Schaadt weighing the beast while having this reel in hand. The reel is easily identified by Bill's handiwork on the drag brake lever. There were more than a few fisherman who cut the drag lever off, the reason for the 200-M's creation, but normally they would just cut em off flush. Bill bent it a little extra and made a bit of a nub so the lever could still be used but would not tangle the line as easily. In the book "I Knew Bill Schaadt" there is a photo showing Schaadt fishing for Florida tarpon with it.

Photo credits given.

Schaadt Rogue 200 reel from Gary Waller collection with modified brake lever.
Last edited by Z3BigDaddy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

WANTED!

WTB
These Reels! Finder Fee Paid.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Fishing Legend Bill Schaadt's Rogue Model 200 Reel

Post by Alan Baracco »

Blaine,

Nice find and a great story!!

Alan
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Fishing Legend Bill Schaadt's Rogue Model 200 Reel

Post by Chinook1 »

Fantastic story!! Thank you for sharing...