I think my Google is broken ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

I think my Google is broken ...

Post by reelsmith. »

I picked up this bottle recently and cannot find anything on Fairplay beyond what is printed on the box and bottle.

Does anyone know when they operated and if they were a tackle maker/seller ?

Thanks.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: I think my Google is broken ...

Post by Mike N »

Very cool early bottle with box, Dean. I especially like that it has the words “fishing reels” on the label. Here’s a start from the 1922 list of corporations by the Illinois Secretary of State, with incorporators names:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The Fairplay Company ran a chain of sporting goods in at least four cities in the 1920s. They branded some fishing tackle including an underwater minnow in the box. Don't believe they survived the 1920s.

-- Dr. Todd
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks guys !

I guess their short life explains the lack of information.

A couple of years ago another of these bottles was listed on FleaBay. It was the first one I'd ever seen. I put in an over-the-top bid on esnipe and was outbid by double. I was amazed ...and very curious.

I mentioned it to a friend and he said it might have been a couple of lure guys with Fairplay minnows looking for a go-with item.

Glad those guys missed this one !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/