Perfect clone has me stumped!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
BCharles
Frequent Board Poster

Perfect clone has me stumped!

Post by BCharles »

I have acquired this 3 1/2" Perfect style reel that has duplicated most of the characteristics of the 1905 Hardy design.
Based on the winding plate I don't think it was from Hardy so I'm looking for any ideas as to the maker.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Perfect clone has me stumped!

Post by john elder »

No “D” stamp but money bet is dingley perfect. He didn’t mark a lot of his reels.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I have no guess, but don't think Dingley is correct as the styling is unlike any Dingley Perfect-style reel I've seen.

Also, Dingley did not scratch Roman numerals into his reels, he used stamped Arabic numerals.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
BCharles
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BCharles »

What gets me is how closely it duplicates a 1905 check Perfect.

If it has no connection at all to Hardy, I'd be surprised if the maker wasn't sued by Hardy.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

One difference I see (other than styling) is four pins holding the collar the spindle is inserted in. Hardy used three.

What's the correct term for that collar ?

Dean.

Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
BCharles
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BCharles »

I assumed that three was the Hardy standard as well, but have found examples where 4 were used.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Dingley and Farlow both in that period were using collared thrust bearings, which look like Hoffmann clutch bearings - might check with Stefan or Andrew Race whether Smith & Wall built a perfect clone - I think they both have catalogs.
Image Image
This is a marked OS Exchequer before 1925 with a D5 stamp.
On this reel the bushing is attached with screws,

which also shows up on a postwar Dingley perfect I had that used balls in a race for the thrust bearing.
Alex Martin Thistle

Heaton staked a lot of brass in their reels, which the subject reel has in many places where other makers would use machine screws. I don't know whether Heaton made a perfect, but Hardy's patent was expired before WWI -

Farlow patented their perfect design in 1911 - in many ways it looks like this reel, but Farlow's reel has a second (radial) bearing in the middle of the spool.