Pop quiz

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Pop quiz

Post by Steve »

Which twin has the tackle?

Both ads from an 1896 issue of Hardware.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Pop quiz

Post by Mike N »

The Enterprise out of Akron, of course. If it was about cheese steak, then Philly.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

I'm with Mike. Lawn Mowers and Sprinklers keep you at home, but a bicycle chain will get you to the lake.
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Enterprise of Pennsylvania was primarily a stove maker. Didn’t know they made those items. Interesting they co-existed with the Pflueger boys without too much ado.

Bad Bob

PS Could this have been a third Enterprise Mfg. Co.? Dont recall address of the one I once wrote about. Lucky to recall I once wrote about it. I think I did. Didn’t I Todd?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

BB, your confusion is understandable. These things are often misidentified as fishing reels by ebay sellers. They have cranks, after all.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

coffee and bicycle chain get you to the river
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Interesting
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Not so fast Steve,

I have personally gone shark fishing with Enterprise Manufacturing Company 12 1/2 inch Cast-Iron Coffee Mill and once you figure out how to spool it up with line you'll never leave the dock without it. That orange beauty not only has a smooth operation but it also provides great leverage. We even got to tinkering a bit with a clothes pin and some old baseball cards to create functional click. Another big plus in this versatile piece of equipment's arsenal is that it can grind the beans for that morning cup of coffee that is so essential to getting that "crack-o-dawn" start out of the marina, and then, once out on the water, it can also grind yesterday's dead bait fish into chum. One thing about this procedure that is so very important to remember; always grind the beans before the chum or your coffee and breath will be a bit hard to deal with for the rest of the day. When this mistake occurs it is often referred to as "menhaden mouth" or "mullet breath". It should be noted that no amount of cream and sugar will correct this mistake.

I would also like to note that I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my "Awesome Enterprise Sausage Stuffer Fruit Lard Wine Cider Press No. 25". I've heard that they can retrieve line like no one's business and that they are just the ticket for trolling for big pelagic game fish. I figure I can use it to deep drop for the fastest fish in the ocean and then, at days end, grind him down into a nice glass of "Wahoo Wine" - Salute!

I have to admit, I was not familiar with their "Snowflake Bicycle Chain & Shark Leader Lubricant", or their "Lawn Mower Fish Scalers" or their "Boat Wash Down Sprinklers".
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Ed, if you think pre-chummed coffee is bad, try some of that lard wine. It will be more effective than 10-years'-worth of AA meetings.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels