1919 Model Heddon 3-35

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

1919 Model Heddon 3-35

Post by Reelman2 »

This is a reel I bought on Lang's auction. It is engraved on the back plate and says Lou Williams 1919 Model. On the bottom of the plate it says W. M. Bill Apple. What looks like an arched big scratch from one side of the back plate to the other is actually part of the engraving. First of all, I have been told that Heddon didn't make this model until at least 1920 but I am no expert on the subject. Second, does anyone have any information about either of the two whose names appear on the reel. Third, I have always been confused about the handles with black knobs. Are they newer or older than the yellow-cream ones or was it just an option of that time period. I actually like the looks of the cream ones best. Perhaps Ron Gast or someone will chime in.
Last edited by Reelman2 on Wed May 08, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Re: 1919 Model Heddon 3-35

Post by Reelman2 »

Well I seem to be having trouble getting my pics to come up. They all said file is too big. Can I get some help.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

do you have a photo viewer/editor on your computer? Software that came with your camera? Microsoft Paint? You should be able to resize your images there - I resize mine down to 1220 pixels wide before I upload to my internet photo server, which is close to the max width a computer screen will show.
The ORCA software takes over from there and automatically sizes them down to its bandwidth preference.
(It's really a pain on internet BBs that don't automatically resize photos, where big images cause scrolling of the thread far off the computer screen.)
The other choice, e.g. here, Imgur for my internet photoserver, you can upload your high-resolution file and then Edit Image to resize the image to a smaller size.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

you can open your pics in preview...it's on macs..not sure about PCs, but assume there is similar...there is a tool bar with it and you can open that and find a crop feature to minimize nonsense around the reel as well as resize and change lighting and color. As reported previously, I found that AOL automatically downsizes pics when you email them, so I often just email problem pics to myself and they are then easily loaded on RT.

PS....Heddon Legacy puts it a bit later yet, in 1922, butit may be a matter of whether they got it in the catalogue. Perhaps is was on the shelf earlier.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The 3-35 was introduced in 1922. The black handle grips are a later replacement. I don't believe the "1919 Model" engraving refers to the reel.
Mark
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's the earliest ad I've seen for the 3-35 reel. They weren't making the reel back in 1919. I suspect that was someone's guess when it was made. The earliest models had the white celluloid knobs and later the 3-35 and 3-25 can be seen with the black knobs. The two names were probably the two owners which changed over time. People were proud of their reels and put there names on them back then.