Help needed to restore two David Darnell Engle fishing Rods

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Greatsouthbayman
Frequent Board Poster

Help needed to restore two David Darnell Engle fishing Rods

Post by Greatsouthbayman »

I recently acquired two David Darnell Engle fishing rods, these rods were made in the early nineteen hundreds and were made from rare exotic wood. The wrapping on the rod are simply amazing. The reel butts on one of the rods is marked sterling silver.
However the shellac finish on the rods literally looks like it is melting off. The wrapping on the rods are so amazing I'm afraid to try and remove the shellac without hurting the wrapping. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the shellac without hurting the wrapping? Does anyone know someone who might be able to restore them. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tony
Reeling Thru The Years
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Help needed to restore two David Darnell Engle fishing Rods

Post by wrong99 »

Can you supply closeup photos, or is that feature not working on Reel Talk, too?
Mark
Greatsouthbayman
Frequent Board Poster

Reeling Thru The Years
Greatsouthbayman
Frequent Board Poster

Reeling Thru The Years
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The wraps can be easily saved during restoration if the person knows what they're doing. Just my opinion, but I'd leave the one butt section as is, except for polishing the metal. Looks nice to me.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Are you sure it is Shellac and not a later over varnish? This will not work on Shellac but if it is old over varnish it is easy to remove it. I have had great success on over varnished older rods using a simple washcloth with some ammonia on it simply softly rubbing the rod. The darker the varnish has turned the easier it is to remove.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Be sure and do Bill’s trick outside or you will gas yourseLf out. Isopropyl alcohol will also work on many finishes
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I've had the best luck with the alcohol. Hopefully, that's not a polyurethane (Verathane) finish, or you might have a hard time.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Beautiful rods Tony! I had to walk away from them as I didn’t know how to handle the conditions and preserving the wrappings! Please keep me/us/everyone updated with the “AFTER” photos....Tight Lines Nick
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!