Fly Reel Storage/Display Ideas

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Fly Reel Storage/Display Ideas

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I just bought two free standing rod rack/stands that will hold 15 rods each. That takes care of the bulk of my rods. I would like to display/store my fly reels in some similar manner. How do you experienced collectors store your reels? I like for them to be out and visible and not tucked away in a box or drawer some place so that I don't know what I have. I am an old guy so sometimes I forget what reels I have if they are not readily available. What do you do?
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Fly Reel Storage/Display Ideas

Post by john elder »

Check with John Kring and see if now that he’s selling off a bunch, he has a stash of Reel Clips the club was selling a few years back.

For me, I have several glass cases, including lawyers book cases that I use to display my reels. You wanna get them behind glass or plexy so that you can see them without need of dusting them! I will, however, admit that I don’t have them tied down, which is fine as long as you don’t start a “domino effect” by knocking over the one on the End! :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

There is a thread on the Tani site regarding displaying collections. It has a lot of good pictures/ideas.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14752.0
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have been looking at some wall hanging units designed for various collectables. I don't need them behind glass as I don't mind dusting them. Gives me an excuse to handle them and look them over.
Joe
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

then I would put them in reel cases in a box - behind glass is best

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

As seen in Ron's display, here is a tip regarding placement of fly reels if you don't get stands to hold them in place. I once went to a collector's house to buy reels and noticed that all his fly reels were sitting on their rim edges rather than on the reel feet. I started putting them "right" only to be told to put them back the way they were. He explained that his fly reels never tip over. I thought it looked strange but after several of my fly reels fell off my display shelving unit at home I started doing that myself and it works. They are much more stable than when sitting on the reel foot.

Here is a pic of the reel display that I was trying to "correct", resulting in a wrist slap.

Here are a few fly reels in my shelving unit. All rim hardware and line guides point to the sky for greater stability and avoidance of wear.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Paul M wrote:As seen in Ron's display, here is a tip regarding placement of fly reels if you don't get stands to hold them in place. I once went to a collector's house to buy reels and noticed that all his fly reels were sitting on their rim edges rather than on the reel feet. I started putting them "right" only to be told to put them back the way they were. He explained that his fly reels never tip over. I thought it looked strange but after several of my fly reels fell off my display shelving unit at home I started doing that myself and it works. They are much more stable than when sitting on the reel foot.

Here is a pic of the reel display that I was trying to "correct", resulting in a wrist slap.

Here are a few fly reels in my shelving unit. All rim hardware and line guides point to the sky for greater stability and avoidance of wear.

Thanks for the tip, Paul. That is pretty much the way I want to display mine. One difference is that I am going to use display units I can hang on the wall. The reels will be easier for me to reach that way as I won't have to bend down to a lower shelf.
Joe
Rook
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rook »

Since I keep my guns in a safe these days I cut some glass shelves and installed them in a few of my old gun cabinets that sit in my basement and store my reels in them now. Keeps them from getting dusty also.