Reel ID?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Reel ID?

Post by Paul M »

Does anyone know anything about this reel?

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Reel ID?

Post by Mike N »

Well, at first glance the long wavy arms and spiral surface appear to make it a member of the cephalopod family, which includes the octopus and the nautilus. It is a peculiar design.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Other views, Paul? What’s that “tongue” sticking out the back? Size? My guess is another nice one-off.

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

It may be a wire-line trolling reel. The lever would therefore be for controlling free spool. Here is the rear side:

Apparently there is at least a second one with slightly different details. Both of these were posted as mystery reels on my Antique Fishing Reels Facebook Group.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Not that it matters, but I'm curious ...is the crank solid or hollow ?

Something about the way it looks makes me think its hollow.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I asked and posted a link to this thread. Robert Dobko, owner of the second reel responded:
Paul the 5 in crank arm is solid cast aluminum flat on the underside and domed shaped on the upper surface. The two handle knobs are cast aluminum. The 10 in frame looks to be solid cast aluminum as well.; The steel rod measures 29 in. The handle is wood and 10 inches long with an aluminum cap. The reel is very heavy. If you need more or better pics let me know.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

.... Paul I found it in a small antique shop outside of Wellington near the Bay of Quinte. The spool release lever pictured works really nicely and the unique line guide really intrigued me when I first saw it. The spool is just under 6 inches in diameter. As I originally noted there is not a single makers mark anywhere on the outfit.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

... The spool attaches to the frame via four screws two on each side. I believe the original manufacture of this reel made it to be a right hand crank as the free spool lever is in the correct position to easily function as a heavy lure is being released....the first gentleman's reel has been switched to be a left hand crank hence the free spool lever is on the back rather than the front.
I can not see the solid cast line guide on his reel. My spool is loaded with a very think [thick?] steel line so this outfit was clearly a deep water trolling rig back in the day.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006