Fly Reel Repair

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Fly Reel Repair

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Can anyone do a simple repair for me? Of course I will pay you. It's a Hardy clone (fly reel) and is a Seaway Model 61-44. Made in Taiwan. I know it is a cheap reel but should be entirely useable when repaired. The little leaf spring that is part of the lever that allows removal of the spool broke and needs to be replaced. Let me know by pm if you can help.
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Fly Reel Repair

Post by john elder »

Joe, send it out to me, if you still need help.
I’m in the book!
John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Fly Reel Repair

Post by john elder »

Interesting little reel with some assorted construction issues that probably saved the maker money but have resulted in epic failure. Luckily, a little damage control should get it back in the game.

The spindle is loose so that it can unscrew from the reel back plate during use. That should be remedied by adding a bit of Thread Lock. The broken spring is an easy replacement so that the spool will lock in place.

The main issue is that the drag gear has come loose so that it slips when drag is engaged. There were originally knurls on the post where it sits and on the inside of the gear, but they have worn away. The gear also has a split... not sure if that has always been there or developed over time:

I will likely get it clean, then solder the gear in place. Locktite might work but don’t see any sense in playing around... too much stress on the gear during operation.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures