Pulp Fiction, ORCA style

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Pulp Fiction, ORCA style

Post by Mike N »

The recent issue of Reel News has an interesting change-of-pace detective story by the venerable reel expert Steve Vernon about the unsolved 1918 murder of a reel patent holder.

As one who has prosecuted and defended first degree murder cases, I found Steve’s article interesting and I’m sure you will, too.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Pulp Fiction, ORCA style

Post by Steve »

Thanks, Mike. It was fun to do the research and stop gnashing gear teeth for a change. (BTW, I'm really glad you didn't name the club Venerable Reel Collectors Association. :lol:)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, read that article last night! Great sleuthing, Steve! I’m wondering just how many scalps Bushnell had on his belt?? :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I really enjoyed the entire issue, especially Steve's murder mystery, the Shakespeare/South Bend CFSR article and the ORCA Convention/Zebco update. Nice to see some spinning reels articles, too. Great work to all who contributed!

David,
When you get to the next phase of your Shakespeare/South Bend CFSR story you are welcome to use any of my photos from our "Punch Button" discussion.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks, Gents. Tough to know how such an "irrelevant" article will be received. Maybe even an article on the only reel inventor known (by me anyway) to appear on a postage stamp could attract some interest. :type:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steve wrote:Thanks, Gents. Tough to know how such an "irrelevant" article will be received. Maybe even an article on the only reel inventor known (by me anyway) to appear on a postage stamp could attract some interest. :type:
Don’t push your luck, Vernon. Murder will out, as they say. Not sure about postage stamps...

Mike N

Just kidding, bring it...
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

The reel on the postage stamp was on my list for this year of "things Mr. Vernon might be working on."
Looking forward to it. As, I believe, Dr. Hunter Thompson said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Richard
8)