Best Place to Sell Old Reel and Tackle

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mykial
Big ORCA Fan

Best Place to Sell Old Reel and Tackle

Post by mykial »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and want to know some information about how to sell old reels and some tackle. I have a few of jewels that my dad had collected years ago including a J.L. Sage #3 baitcaster, A. F. Meisselbach & Bro Expert Fly reel, some unmarked brass reels and very old bamboo fly rods. I really do not want to sell them but I am trying to find a way to fetch top dollar.

Any help would be great.
Mike
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Best Place to Sell Old Reel and Tackle

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Contact Lang's Auction Service. Owner is an O.R.C.A, Member.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's a link for Lang's Auction. The Sage No. 3 is a super reel!

http://www.langsauction.com/
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

If you are willing to consider offers, our sale page here is a place to start. You just need good pics to post and details, particularly re the rods. Other sale boards are out there as well.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
mykial
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mykial »

Thanks everyone for the information I still need to finish going thru the tons of stuff. I am glad I finally signed up and I will for sure use the forum to help identify some of the items I do not know.
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

if you want top dollar, you have to do the work selling them yourself and hopefully not pay any fees. maybe try Lang's Marketplace. there is a sale going on right now if you want to see how it works. or call them for info.

Bob
mykial
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mykial »

Thanks Bob I will check into that.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

You don’t just “pay a fee” to an auction house. You are paying to purchase access to a broader market. If you don’t have the knowledge of who are the current market movers, you have to pay to acquire that information in the form of a commission.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
mykial
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mykial »

Good to know Mike, thanks for the advise.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Mike, welcome to Reel Talk. There’s a great group here that enjoy seeing newly discovered collections like yours and would enjoy seeing the treasures you find. Our site is not designed for appraisals but for discussion and education of vintage reels.

I tend to collect lower dollar value reels and am always trying to improve the quality of my collection. I use Worthpoint and eBay “completed sales” to get an idea of the market for a reel. They have a huge database of previous sales and non-sales hard to find elsewhere.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
mykial
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mykial »

Thanks Wanye, I just uncovered 3 brass reels with no marking on them and will be staring a new post to help identify what they are.

Mike