Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:17 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Jim Schottenham has an excellent article on Billinghurst reels in the Summer 2019 issue of The American Fly Fisher, Journal of the American Museum of Fly Fishing. Great photos and detail in the article.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:56 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
I’ve let my AMFF membership lapse, but if copies of the issue with Jim’s article are available for purchase, please let us know. I’m sure it provides interesting insight on a classic reel. Thanks for letting us know, Colby.

Mike N.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:18 am 
Super Board Poster
It's official, the American Museum of Fly Fishing will open the Billinghurst exhibit this Saturday, Aug. 10th. to commemorate the 160th anniversary of the Billinghurst reel patent. A portion of my collection consisting of Billinghurst examples, as well as other antique side-mounted reels will be on display. The museum scheduled me to give a little intro to the exhibit at 1pm, so if any ORCA members are nearby, I'd be thrilled if you could make it. A link to the 12th annual Fly Fishing Festival is below:
https://www.amff.org/2019-festival/
The museum is right next door to the flagship Orvis shop in Manchester, VT.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
A friend sent me the Summer 2019 AMFF journal and Jim’s article on Billinghurst and his fly reels is excellent. It is probably the definitive scholarship on this master.

I had forgotten what a great magazine the AMFF published for collectors and historians. This issue not only had Jim Schottenham’s article but also one written by ORCAn Jim Brown on trophy fish carver Stephen Smith and an article about master bamboo fly rod makers. My check will be in the mail Monday rejoining the museum’s membership. It’s worth every penny. Check it out at AMFF.org

Mike N

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:39 am 
Super Board Poster
The article in the American Fly Fisher was done in conjunction with the exhibit now on display at the museum, to celebrate the 160th anniversary of the Billinghurst reel patent. I know I'm biased, but I think the staff at the AMFF did an outstanding job. I'd like to thank John Ganung and his grandson John, Henry Caldwell, Kyle Kuba, John Shaner, Steve Woit and all the other folks that kindly attended the opening. The display will be up for 6 months, so if you find yourself near Manchester, stop on in.
A few photos:

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Great display. The folks at the Museum always do a wonderful job on their displays. Wish I had a couple of days to visit and one day to fish the Battenkill! Fun stuff!!!!

Colby

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 pm 
Super Board Poster
I would really like to get there and see the display. Jim's collection is amazing and one-of-a-kind.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
That’s the coolest display of antique fishing tackle I’ve ever seen. Wow.

Mike N

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:56 am 
Super Board Poster
You have always successfully endeavored to display your reels creatively over the years but this takes it to a whole new level. Nothing else to say but....... WOW!

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:58 am 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
Drool! Drool! Drool!

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:16 am 
Super Board Poster
Beautifully done Jim.

I hope to get there to see it.

Dean.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Super Board Poster
Great job, Jim. Your collection and displays are the finest, bar none. Sorry I can't put the show at the AMFF on my calendar this year. But congrats and thanks for promoting old fishing reels, as you always do.
Richard

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:26 am 
Big ORCA Fan
excellent display. thanks for sharing photos!! Bryce