Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
I am lookin for any information on a South Bend Spin 11 Reel. It is a closed face and has no button to hold and release. My neighbor wants to sell it and I don't know what a fair price is. Can't find this reel anywhere. Age, Value, Rarity, etc.?

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 pm 
Frequent Board Poster
There is no button because it is not a spincast. It mounts under the rod and you turn the crank handle backwards to make the cast (with finger tension on the line at the grip). I believe Shakespeare made these for SB. Cool reels. You’ve got a nice one there. The box and papers certainly add to the value, but probably in the $35 range.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 am 
Advanced Board Poster
Eric is right on. One of my favorite styles of reel, the closed-face spinning reel. Definitely made by Shakespeare, very much like their Spin Wondereel #1735 made in the late '50s. The paperwork there should have instructions on how to use it. There was a special series of rods with sliding reel seats, or fixed seats positioned further back on the grip, made for these reels. Because the foot is short, the rod is gripped ahead of the reel.
I have several of the Shakespeare models. That one looks almost unused.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:43 pm 
Frequent Board Poster
Those reels work great with fly rods too. A deadly combo when used with night crawlers!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:59 pm 
Star Board Poster
Did they make a left hand version of this or the Shakes reel?

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:28 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Ultra Board Poster
I don't see any left-hand versions in the catalogs.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:13 pm 
ORCA President
FYI: This reel was included/discussed in the latest edition of the Reel News. Of historical note, this is exactly the type of reel for which the word "spincast" was first used and trademarked (by South Bend). It wasn't until after South Bend introduced a pushbutton reel that they started labelling the non-pushbutton reels as "spin."