Seeking Any Info on South Bend Spin 11 reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
tttime
Big ORCA Fan

Seeking Any Info on South Bend Spin 11 reel

Post by tttime »

I am lookin for any information on a South Bend Spin 11 Reel. It is a closed face and has no button to hold and release. My neighbor wants to sell it and I don't know what a fair price is. Can't find this reel anywhere. Age, Value, Rarity, etc.?
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Seeking Any Info on South Bend Spin 11 reel

Post by Eric J »

There is no button because it is not a spincast. It mounts under the rod and you turn the crank handle backwards to make the cast (with finger tension on the line at the grip). I believe Shakespeare made these for SB. Cool reels. You’ve got a nice one there. The box and papers certainly add to the value, but probably in the $35 range.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Eric is right on. One of my favorite styles of reel, the closed-face spinning reel. Definitely made by Shakespeare, very much like their Spin Wondereel #1735 made in the late '50s. The paperwork there should have instructions on how to use it. There was a special series of rods with sliding reel seats, or fixed seats positioned further back on the grip, made for these reels. Because the foot is short, the rod is gripped ahead of the reel.
I have several of the Shakespeare models. That one looks almost unused.
"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone"
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Those reels work great with fly rods too. A deadly combo when used with night crawlers!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Did they make a left hand version of this or the Shakes reel?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I don't see any left-hand versions in the catalogs.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

FYI: This reel was included/discussed in the latest edition of the Reel News. Of historical note, this is exactly the type of reel for which the word "spincast" was first used and trademarked (by South Bend). It wasn't until after South Bend introduced a pushbutton reel that they started labelling the non-pushbutton reels as "spin."