Ted Williams 401 Made in France

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Ted Williams 401 Made in France

Post by Reeltyme »

Good evening gentlemen, I purchased a bunch of fishing equipment the other day. In the lot is a reel as described above. I checked the usual auction sites and found similar reels but not this exact one. The “01” designation I see indicates a left hand model. Does anyone know if this is a desirable reel being a lefty? It’s in great condition given it doesn’t appear to be a high end reel.
Thanks in advance for any information anyone may have.
Regards,
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Ted Williams 401 Made in France

Post by arley »

I think that 401 is actually made in Italy. I have a 300 and 400 both Zangi of Italy.Not too much of a collector base but still a nice series of reels before production of TW reels moved to Japan.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Sorry about that, yes Italy not France. Senior moment? Thanks for setting that straight!
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Oh yes senior moment. I have them also. What are we talking about?
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

They should have named the reel the “406.” As the last major leaguer to having a batting average over .400, Ted hit .406 in 1941.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The 401 is indeed an Italian made (Zangi) reel imported by Ted Williams Inc. in the 1950s. The ones without the bail are earlier than the ones with the bail. I would say the lefty versions are worth slightly more than the righty, but not tremendously so. If you have the picture box it will double the value.

-- Dr. Todd