Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 am 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
I have recently purchased some old ?'Virginia style reels' including a Kiest and a Virginia reel that was made only about 2 miles from where I live in S.E. Missouri. I would like to display them on a wall with rods that commonly used with those 2 reels. Fiberglass, steel, steel telescoping, uncertain about what to purchase that would be authentic.
Thanks, Jim T.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:37 pm 
Star Board Poster
Hi, Jim... i checked with Randy Nelson, who has an extensive Indiana Reel collection. His response:

“The ones that I have found in the field on rods all seemed to be on Richardson type steel rods with cork handles. They were spinning type rods, and not bait-casting. Although, Kiest did offer different style feet that were supposedly interchangeable to adapt to both style rods. I would say any 30's to 40's period steel rods would be correct. Just my thoughts. Randy”

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
mozarkjct@gmail.com wrote:I have recently purchased some old ?'Virginia style reels' including a Kiest and a Virginia reel that was made only about 2 miles from where I live in S.E. Missouri. I would like to display them on a wall with rods that commonly used with those 2 reels. Fiberglass, steel, steel telescoping, uncertain about what to purchase that would be authentic.
Thanks, Jim T.

Welcome to ORCA. I think your Kiest reel, was made in Knox, Indiana, not Virginia. Here is an interesting link about Kiest.

https://indianafishinglures.com/indiana ... ng-tackle/

To answer your question, here is another link to a 33-page Kiest catalog that shows rod/reel combinations:

https://indianafishingluresdotcom.files ... tamped.pdf

Mike N

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 pm 
Super Board Poster
Welcome Jim!

Mike - I think what Jim is talking about are Virginia Casting Reels:

The Kiest reels did indeed come with two "feet", one for use on straight handled casting rods, the other for use on off-set handle casting rods - you can see the spare foot in the lower left corner:

A good example of what the reel looked like on those straight handled steel rods comes from the Kiest box:

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:14 pm 
Super Board Poster

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:25 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
Hello John:
Thanks much for the info. I see now that the 'Virginia' reel from Flat river, Mo., the 'Kiest' reel, the 'Goite' reel,
the Heddon 'Winona' and the 'OK' machine co. reel that I have purchased, are all of the 'Indiana' type of reel. Is that correct? Have been fishing for 70 of my 80 years and didn't realize that such reels ever existed. Started out with a cheap split bamboo fly rod to fish the cricks in my neck of the woods.
By the way, I have a Fred Elders in my Sunday School class.
Jim T.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:56 pm 
Super Board Poster
Goite were first made in Kokomo, In. Then moved to Michigan.