Just joined...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mozarkjct@gmail.com
Big ORCA Fan

Just joined...

Post by mozarkjct@gmail.com »

I have recently purchased some old ?'Virginia style reels' including a Kiest and a Virginia reel that was made only about 2 miles from where I live in S.E. Missouri. I would like to display them on a wall with rods that commonly used with those 2 reels. Fiberglass, steel, steel telescoping, uncertain about what to purchase that would be authentic.
Thanks, Jim T.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Just joined...

Post by john elder »

Hi, Jim... i checked with Randy Nelson, who has an extensive Indiana Reel collection. His response:

“The ones that I have found in the field on rods all seemed to be on Richardson type steel rods with cork handles. They were spinning type rods, and not bait-casting. Although, Kiest did offer different style feet that were supposedly interchangeable to adapt to both style rods. I would say any 30's to 40's period steel rods would be correct. Just my thoughts. Randy”
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

mozarkjct@gmail.com wrote:I have recently purchased some old ?'Virginia style reels' including a Kiest and a Virginia reel that was made only about 2 miles from where I live in S.E. Missouri. I would like to display them on a wall with rods that commonly used with those 2 reels. Fiberglass, steel, steel telescoping, uncertain about what to purchase that would be authentic.
Thanks, Jim T.
Welcome to ORCA. I think your Kiest reel, was made in Knox, Indiana, not Virginia. Here is an interesting link about Kiest.

https://indianafishinglures.com/indiana ... ng-tackle/

To answer your question, here is another link to a 33-page Kiest catalog that shows rod/reel combinations:

https://indianafishingluresdotcom.files ... tamped.pdf

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Welcome Jim!

Mike - I think what Jim is talking about are Virginia Casting Reels:

The Kiest reels did indeed come with two "feet", one for use on straight handled casting rods, the other for use on off-set handle casting rods - you can see the spare foot in the lower left corner:

A good example of what the reel looked like on those straight handled steel rods comes from the Kiest box:
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I think I added this to the Library when I was "Marian!"

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
mozarkjct@gmail.com
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mozarkjct@gmail.com »

Hello John:
Thanks much for the info. I see now that the 'Virginia' reel from Flat river, Mo., the 'Kiest' reel, the 'Goite' reel,
the Heddon 'Winona' and the 'OK' machine co. reel that I have purchased, are all of the 'Indiana' type of reel. Is that correct? Have been fishing for 70 of my 80 years and didn't realize that such reels ever existed. Started out with a cheap split bamboo fly rod to fish the cricks in my neck of the woods.
By the way, I have a Fred Elders in my Sunday School class.
Jim T.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Goite were first made in Kokomo, In. Then moved to Michigan.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19