Just Wanted To Say Hi

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Just Wanted To Say Hi

Post by xjchad »

Hi everyone,
I've been a member on Alan Tani's site for a few years now and love the community they have there. I found out about the ORCA through that site. I've been doing reel repair and modifications for a few years now and love it. Making custom parts and being creative with them and then using them to catch fish is very gratifying. I've never been a collector, mainly because I just don't have the time, money, or space for it. However, I had a recent experience on the other board that has peaked my interest much more in antique and vintage reels.
Chris (1badf350) generously sent me a box of old bass fishing books. Inside the box he also included a reel that came from John (Deepfins791). It's a Pflueger Interocean 1885 that is from the personal collection of Oscar Kovalovsky.

I'm always amazed by the generosity of fellow fishermen and was super excited about this reel. At this point I'd never heard of the Kovalovskys (I'm still very green when it comes to reel history and collecting) but as I researched more about them, I became more enthralled with their story and the brilliant design and craftsmanship of their reels. I've read through John's website numerous times now and any other info I can find on the web. Now that I'm registered here, I'm finding much more info as well as learning about numerous other reel builders. I'm very thankful for people like Chris, John, and the rest of you here that are willing to share your knowledge and information with people like me.
I don't have much room to keep a collection, or money to spend on them, but I'm now hooked and excited to build my own starting with this Pflueger.
Thank you everyone, I look forward to all I'll be able to learn here!
Chad
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Just Wanted To Say Hi

Post by 1badf350 »

Its a small world my friend. Welcome to the site!
-Chris R.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Welcome to the Message Board. Just like potato chips, you can't have just one. That goes for reels to. Enjoy the ORCA website.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Welcome! We are glad to have you here
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice to have you over stop by, Chad! I think you'll enjoy your time spent here, you may even catch the keep & display bug! :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

Thanks for the welcome guys! Excited to be here!