Any idea on the rod make?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reeltyme

Any idea on the rod make?

Post by Reeltyme »

Guys, I just bought this outfit in a group of rods and reels from a guy. I can not begin to tell you how hard it was to control my excitement! The guy called and wanted to sell me some Penn reels and other “stuff” for fishing. Would I be interested? I informed him it depended on what models the reels were and the condition. He threw out a price and I said I would take a look. This was part of “ the stuff”! I paid the man his asking price! Now, to my problem, no name on the rod. I am curious if anyone recognizes the way it’s made and can identify the maker. The rod is sort of a triangle or pyramid shape. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Any idea on the rod make?

Post by KIWI »

Randy looks like you got a very nice Ocean City #814 Cradle with an early, but re-tied Tycoon Bimini King tip. I say early as the roller guides are an early version with the two nuts under the foot of each one holding the guide together. These cradles were made between 1942 and 1956. Nice Find for sure! Doug
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

They could have picked a better color for the wraps !!!! LOL !!!! Still a great find Randy. John Taylor PS I have a 814 with a Bimini King but not all roller like yours ! Yours is SWEET !!

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thanks John. I got lucky on this one! You do have a “1-up” on me though, yours is clean! My needs some wash and wax!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

You have the nice old roller guides ! That rod would be worth having done over. Nice Randy !! John Taylor