Hardy Reference Guide

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Hardy Reference Guide

Post by NJFisherman »

From what I can tell, a good reference for Hardy reels is John Drewetts "Hardy Brothers: The Masters, the Men and Their Reels, 1873-1939". Any thoughts about this subject?
Dave Lucas
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Hardy Reference Guide

Post by Paul M »

There are 3 titles on Hardy that I have used in the past. The Hardy Brothers Angler's Bible discusses the business in terms of the catalogs, includes only certain details and is probably the least expensive of the books. The House the Hardy Brothers Built includes a master list of all reels ever catalogued by Hardy. I only flipped through a copy of Drewett but it seemed to be comprehensive.

- Hardy Brothers Angler's Bible, Medlar Press, Andrew Herd, 2013.
- The House the Hardy Brothers Built, 1998, James Leighton Hardy, The Flyfishers Classic library.
- Hardy Brothers, The Masters The Men and Their Reels, 1873-1939, John Drewett.

Note that there is significant info on Hardy reels and rods in Graham Turner's - Fishing Tackle: The Ultimate Collector's Guide, 2009.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Drewett's book is the go to one. He interviewed many Hardy reel makers including Tommy Armstrong, Jimmy Smith Jack Luke and those working at the company then. He is in regular contact with Raymond Humble who started at Hardy's in 1937 as an apprentice.

The JL Hardy book gives great insight into the tackle business.

Herd's book I do not have but have looked at it and if I was a serious collector I might buy it. I have compilations of Hardy catalogues and a few reproductions of the early ones.

Turners book was ok at the time but it is an auction catalogue basically so everything is slightly hypes if its in the book. He seriously does not understand the Perfect reel. I do use it for his list of tackle makers.
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Paul & Stef - thanks for the responses :D . I really want to better understand the dating of Perfects so I will give Drewett a shot.

Also, Stef - do you think Turner's latest book is much better than his first at identifying different maker's reels? Not sure I want to spend another $100+ right this minute either...
Dave Lucas
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Hi second book hypes the Ustonson reel he bought. It is a very nice reel but I don't think it sold for what he wanted.

A few things to remember about Graham, he was not a fisherman and was only ever in it to make money, something I have no problem with.

He would make up a theory to match items he had bought, eg the drilled reel he tried to sell plus many other items.

Jamies Maxtone Graham bought his first book and told us he gave up counting the mistakes when he got to 100.

Buy the first one if you must as it has a good section on tackle dealers, address and date info compiled from the UK trade directories.

His second book has more mistakes especially the Wadham information, the Slater information was written by someone else who confessed to me he had just rushed it off to him and never checked it. The Nottingham info is "vague"
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Good to know. I already have the old one. Thanks.
Dave Lucas
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I really like Graham Turner's Second Edition. Of course, I enjoy looking at photos of old reels and there's a ton of them in the book. I also like the photos in the book of the old British baits like the Gregory and cut glass lures. I understand there may be some errors in the book's writeup, but that is true of a lot of the older books and articles on reels. The knowledge base increases over time.

I had a conversation with Graham before he published his second edition. He was worried it would be too big. It ended up weighing over 7 pounds. He asked his publisher if he thought it would be too big and the publisher told him "Only if you drop it on your foot." :wink:

NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Ron, thanks for your thoughts. Price sounds better by the pound :D
Dave Lucas