ID on this reel can??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

ID on this reel can??

Post by john elder »

Shane Lyon emailed me about this reel can he acquired:

“Any idea what I need to fill this? Guessing it's a store brand, maybe of a Kalamazoo challenger 1718? If so though would the reel be marked Pacific 1718 or Challenger 1718? Or neither?

Thank you”

Can anyone add some info??

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Re: ID on this reel can??

Post by reeltackle »

If it’s a 5 gallon can it could be for an Errol Bullen reel, it was made for catching big fish in the Pacific. It had a levelwind and held 100 yards of anchor chain. :roll: :roll:

See pics here - https://antiquefishingreels.com/salt-wa ... ol-bullen/
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Made by Kalamazoo Tackle Co. and likely identical to their No.1718 "Challenger" model, but branded "Pacific" for whatever retailer sold them. Can't say I've ever seen one, though.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

From Shane (gonna have to get him logging in!):

“Dang it! I knew that was going to be the case. When I got home it dawned on me that there were two flats of reels at the sale that I ignored as cheap old reels (I had found a pretty awesome lure, that's I'll i could think about) so I went back looking for the reel that belongs to it, but they were mostly gone. I'll keep searching. Thank you all for your help. “
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Shanel
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shanel »

Thank you for your help, John (as usual and always), and others. After I saw my voice to text typo I figured I better reset my password.
If you're interested in what else I found that had me regrettably distracted here is my post on joes:
http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard/me ... 23989.html
arne
Big ORCA Fan

Post by arne »

The reel will be marked 1718 without the name. I also have a identical can marked Deschutes 1699. The reel is only marked 1699. Merv Bortner's site is still working and there is a picture of the 1718 reel and can.
Nice find Shane.
Shanel
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shanel »

Hey Arne, thank you for getting down the correct path! That's a nicer looking reel too. Hope all is well with you. Thanks again!