Shakespeare 2052 (DC) Schematics/Parts List

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bert1153
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare 2052 (DC) Schematics/Parts List

Post by Bert1153 »

I have the last spin cast that will complete my small collection of '60's vintage Shakespeare reels. Unfortunately the schematics/parts list for this one has been quite elusive. I will eventually need a couple of parts so was wondering if anyone has a copy. I have a copy of the 2062 and 1976 bait cast I'd share with anyone who needs them. Thanks!

Regards,
Bert
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare 2052 (DC) Schematics/Parts List

Post by Midway Tommy D »

There isn't one in the ORCA Library. Here's one for the last "D" versions. Maybe someone, Sid, Paul, etc., can add it to the Library?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks, Tom. I added it.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Bert1153
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bert1153 »

Thank you! This will help me. These are always good to have on hand in case one gets a bit drifty with the re-assembly. Now to find one with actual part numbers...that might be a trick. Anyway, I have the three Shakespeare spinning reels I've wanted and all is good.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Good luck finding your needed parts. USA Shakespeare open face spinning reel parts have been obsolete for a long, long time. Shakespeare kept tight control over their replacement parts. That's why they're numbered on the schematics the way they are. They never had conventional numbers as did later reels by other manufactures. You'll more than likely have to purchase a donor reel to cannibalize, try to find used parts on eBay or make/fabricate your own. I've had to do that more times than I can count. There are a few guys out there that deal in used parts, also, so you might be able to find some that way.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bert1153
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bert1153 »

Absolutely hard to find, Tom. These reels are as obsolete as I am (in my 7th decade), but I have found NOS from Mat's in Wisconsin. He didn't have the part I needed this time, though. The part can be repaired when necessary and maybe will never need it. Mat does have the old style handle and I might get it so that this reel matches my other two. I remember thinking what a find when I bought my 2062 in the mid 70's. It's still going strong and will last me to the end. That's the beauty of these vintage reels, built like tanks. Now I just need to stay off of ebay, away from garage sales and estate sales.
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

what part are you looking for on the 2052 ???

gene
Bert1153
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bert1153 »

Hi Gene,

At some point I'm going to need part X20 #75-60-6652-01, main shaft assembly. It has a plastic piece at the ratchet end and mine is cracked. I feel it will hold for awhile since it is captured by the spool bushing, but will eventually give it up.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bert1153 wrote:Hi Gene,

At some point I'm going to need part X20 #75-60-6652-01, main shaft assembly. It has a plastic piece at the ratchet end and mine is cracked. I feel it will hold for awhile since it is captured by the spool bushing, but will eventually give it up.
That part is near impossible to find unless you come across a used one. Most of the plastic ones from the "D" series' have cracked by now so your best alternative would be to find a used one with the metal assembly from an earlier "E" series. The cracked plastic will more than likely break apart under a heavy drag payout load on the spool.

I came up with a fairly easy fix for the cracked plastic bushing sleeves that will last as long as the rest of the reel, probably even longer. I'll post a step by step tutorial with photos sometime tomorrow, but here's a preview of the concept. If you click on it it will enlarge.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bert1153
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Bert1153 »

Yes, exactly what I had in mind. I look forward to your instructions.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I decided that the best place for the tutorial was in the Cleaning and Restoration forum. It can be viewed here.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027