PENN 710

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

PENN 710

Post by busterboy »

I just pickedd up a Penn 710 in relatively good shape, mounted on a USA made Ugly Stik. The reel was functional when I picked it up and worked when I got it home. A week later it is almost too stiff to move. I opened it up to see if old grease was a problem and could not find any in the body of the reel that seemed to be causing the problem. What I have yet to do is remove the rotor to see if there is a reason for the problem on that end of the reel. Does anyone here have any words of wisdom to impart to a Penn neophite?

Thanks in advance, Stan "Buster" Cowton
Buster Cowton :usa
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: PENN 710

Post by Midway Tommy D »

busterboy wrote:I just pickedd up a Penn 710 in relatively good shape, mounted on a USA made Ugly Stik. The reel was functional when I picked it up and worked when I got it home. A week later it is almost too stiff to move. I opened it up to see if old grease was a problem and could not find any in the body of the reel that seemed to be causing the problem. What I have yet to do is remove the rotor to see if there is a reason for the problem on that end of the reel. Does anyone here have any words of wisdom to impart to a Penn neophite?

Thanks in advance, Stan "Buster" Cowton
They don't get much simpler than the Penn 710, 712, etc. Something is either bound up because it's out of alignment or gummed up somewhere, maybe around the pinion, main shaft or main gear shaft. Take it completely apart, clean all the metal parts, including the bearing, with lacquer thinner or acetone, dry them completely, relube the bearing and put the reel back together lubing, i.e, grease & oil, on everything.

Posting some photos always helps in trouble shooting. Without photos everything is just supposition.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

Thanks Tommy, I agreee with the simplicity. I was amazed when I opened up the housing. Once I get a chance, I am going to get the rotor off to see what may be the situation there. I have never taken a spinning reel that far apart before. Is there anything I need to be wary of?

thanks again, Buster
Buster Cowton :usa
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

take pictures as you tear it down,that has saved me more then once
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Great reel. The first to use the fiberglass reinforced spool.

Here's all there is to it.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

busterboy wrote:Thanks Tommy, I agreee with the simplicity. I was amazed when I opened up the housing. Once I get a chance, I am going to get the rotor off to see what may be the situation there. I have never taken a spinning reel that far apart before. Is there anything I need to be wary of?

thanks again, Buster
Not really on the Penns. They're not very tricky. Like Chuck says, though, take photos every step along the way. Ask questions and post photos if you run into a problem. You'll have to take the main shaft out before you can remove the rotor. Work tough to loosen screws back and forth until they break loose. I haven't taken a Penn apart for awhile. You never know when you'll run into a reverse thread screw or bolt so don't force them too much.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

You never know when you'll run into a reverse thread screw or bolt so don't force them too much.
No left hand threads on a 710 all are, "Righty tighty, lefty Lucy". with gearbox cover removed, first remove the cross wind. That will release the drive shaft. Then you can remove the cup. The 710 is straight forward, you should have no trouble. I would say the tricky part is the bail spring. Everything else is easy.

Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Often when I get a "tight" Reel a blast of WD tends to melt down the petrified Grease and get things sliding around nice and smooth again, sometimes works on the occasional beauty where the last guy that opened it up applied the lube with a shovel apparently in the belief that for proper functioning interior air pockets are evil.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Often when I get a "tight" Reel a blast of WD tends to melt down the petrified Grease and get things sliding around nice and smooth again, sometimes works on the occasional beauty where the last guy that opened it up applied the lube with a shovel apparently in the belief that for proper functioning interior air pockets are evil.
It always makes me laugh when I open up a reel and find it packed tight with grease. I use a solvent wash tank when it is that bad. Frozen screws are another story. I usually soak the reel in Simple Green to start the cleaning process. That will help with stuck screws sometimes. WD 40 is good too but I like Kroil better.